PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between Concealer & Foundation?

Elaina2452
01-04-2012, 02:54 AM
I always wondered this because it seems like the same to me. Is it just a way to get you to spend more money or does concealer work better under the eyes than your foundation would?

naturesdream
01-04-2012, 04:42 PM
From what I have seen there are all different kinds of concealers, but they are suppose to be able to cover the dark circles under the eye area more effectively than foundation would. I use mine on top of my foundation, I also use a liquid concealer. I find the stick to be a little too cake like for me...hope this helps.

I think if you don't have under the eye circles you could probably get away with only using foundation.

y34963
01-05-2012, 01:27 AM
A concealer works on any problems you have on your skin. Around the eyes, blemishes on the skin, spider veins. etc. Foundation should just be a veil that makes your skin look lovely and even.

skinlover
03-04-2012, 01:40 PM
I trained in make-up a couple of years ago and I can assure you that it is vital. BUT it is completely your own choice whether you use it or not.

Concealer means what it says; it conceals. You need to find one that exactly matches your skin tone then apply a small amount onto the zit/blemish and dab in gently with your finger. You don't have to use foundation afterwards. You could just finish with some face powder.

For the skin around our eyes, you will find make-up brands have created roll-on concealers in creamy shades to match our skin tone. These are very good. I use a Garnier one and it works a treat. In more professional use we use colours such as lilac green and peach to counteract the marks on our skin, but that is really for glamourous photoshoots.

But it's your choice. But it does work if you find a good enough brand. It's not a con. :)!

L.
x

y34963
03-10-2012, 05:26 PM
It is only vital if you need to use as concealer. Even then a good foundation will cover most imperfections on the face. Mineral foundations are bests as they are normally in powder form and the coverage is great without clogging your pores.

I would suggest that you do not use a concealer on a blemish. Concealers are normally very thick and it would just clog the blemish and make it worse.

pepsimax
03-11-2012, 05:02 AM
It is only vital if you need to use as concealer. Even then a good foundation will cover most imperfections on the face. Mineral foundations are bests as they are normally in powder form and the coverage is great without clogging your pores.

I would suggest that you do not use a concealer on a blemish. Concealers are normally very thick and it would just clog the blemish and make it worse.

Just to add my point to this. If you 'need' to cover imperfections for a certain occasion then as soon as possible remove all make up properly and 'never' go to sleep with make up on.
I don't know of any off hand but there are cosmetics around that have ingredients in which help the skin.

skinlover
03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
very true Pepsimax.

we should work at keeping our skin clear by cleansing, not just depending on make-up to cover up, BUT if we are off out to a special occasion, or where the lighting will not be flattering, then make-up is usually the answer.

exprt143
03-17-2012, 05:11 AM
I think Foundation and concealer are beauty cosmetics that are both applied to the skin. Foundation is mostly applied to the facial area to create a uniform color.
Concealer is a different kind of make-up that is used to hide pimples,
black marks or dark circles on the skin.

Aruna
04-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Well now that you know what the difference is, you can go a step ahead and be smarter like me. What I do to put foundation is merge it with some body lotion from Parachute. it comes out really well on the face, does not let the make-up fade and helps it stay for long. :h2:

abhinav singh
05-05-2012, 09:31 AM
Foundation is for the entire face, to even out skin tone. Foundation is mostly applied to the facial area to create a uniform color, and also sometimes to change the natural skin tone.
Concealer is a different kind of make-up that is used to hide pimples, black marks or dark circles, and small visible blemishes on the skin. Concealer typically has a thicker consistency, and is used only where it’s needed, like blemishes, under eyes..

Rach
05-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Use foundation as a base, concealer helps to "conceal" a specific area

BRTCskincare
06-22-2012, 04:47 PM
Concealers are meant to hide specific problem spots (eg. under the eye, hide one unwanted pimple etc) whereas foundations are meant as a coverage for your entire face and act as a base to put on other makeup such as blush. If you want a more natural look you should try out the newsest craze on the beauty market-BB creams. BB creams are a product that provide full moisture with a hint of colour and will give you a natural glow-something foundations and concealers may not necessarily do.

marclewis
08-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Concealer helps to cover dark circles under eyes and blemishes whereas foundation is a base that can be applied before the makeup.