PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Boils

UnknownBoy
05-02-2011, 04:21 AM
So originally 1-2 weeks back I noted a small redness on my face, I assumed that it was just a pimple and ignored it.

A few days back it was painful whenever I applied pressure to it.

Now the pain is gone, but the bump is still there. I *think* it is a boil after doing some reading online, but most people say that the boil should have "popped" on its own, but mine didn't.

Question: Should I be worried about a boil that doesn't pop by itself, but the pain itself is gone?

vencasand
05-02-2011, 02:17 PM
i sure wish you newbies would give an age and where you live. welcome to our forum. you might be getting cystic acne. is it just a lump left? no redness or any sign of infection? did i go away on it's own? if it comes back please see a doctor.

UnknownBoy
05-02-2011, 03:36 PM
i sure wish you newbies would give an age and where you live. welcome to our forum. you might be getting cystic acne. is it just a lump left? no redness or any sign of infection? did i go away on it's own? if it comes back please see a doctor.

Haha sorry about that, I guess that's pretty important too!

21, Canada (Ontario if that even matters).

And yes, its a lump left, it's redish to dark red in color. I don't believe there is an infection since the pain is no longer there, and I do not see any heads.

Is cystic acne another word for boil? Or totally different?

vencasand
05-03-2011, 02:19 PM
it is easier to suggest stuff when i know how old you are and if you are from a predominately hot or cold area. cystic acne is another name for acne vulgaris. this is where acne forms and leaves scars and is painful. it is something like a boil but boils can show up by themsleves and are also very painful. sometimes your body can take care of an infection in the boil but most times the boil comes to a head and is pretty disgusting after it pops. the reason i was a little worried is because boils can be cause by strep or staph infections and those you need an antibiotic to prevent the infection from spreading or causing blood poisoning. just keep watch and make sure if you get another boil watch it for severe infection. if it gets larger than the previous one, please see a doctor for antibiotics. this one might have been a one time thing. keep sunscreen on it. and you could use some amlactin on it morning and night to help get rid of the scar. best of luck to you. cystic acne is a skin condition. a boil is a skin abcess that goes deep into the skin.

Dr.Deepak
05-03-2011, 02:36 PM
cystic acne and boil are different conditions. You should not be worried but remember not to scratch it it might leave a scar. yea it might just be folliculitis ( boil),or an acne, it is always not necessary that they popped on its own, some mild cases just goes away without popping. if you can post pic it can be easy to confirm but anyway. if it comes again do consult a doctor or experts accordingly.