PDA

View Full Version : Facial Cleansers vs Astringents

kidcymucks
02-23-2011, 09:50 AM
Me and my girl were having a discussion about my facial cleaning procedures and it sparked a debate. We have been unable to find a definitive answer, so hopefully someone here can help.

I use a 50/50 mix of Sea Breeze and Witch Hazel to clean my face. She believes I should be using a facial cleanser and a moisturizer also. I think my mix and facial cleansers perform the same job, but she says they don't.

I've already conceeded that I need to be using a facial moisturizer after my 50/50 mix, but I really want to know if there's a legitimate reason to add a third step to my routine.

By the way, the reason I began using the mix was because that's what my barber uses after each haircut and I really like the way it smells. My face is slightly oily and I believe I have sensitive skin.

Please help

y34963
02-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Me and my girl were having a discussion about my facial cleaning procedures and it sparked a debate. We have been unable to find a definitive answer, so hopefully someone here can help.

I use a 50/50 mix of Sea Breeze and Witch Hazel to clean my face. She believes I should be using a facial cleanser and a moisturizer also. I think my mix and facial cleansers perform the same job, but she says they don't.

I've already conceeded that I need to be using a facial moisturizer after my 50/50 mix, but I really want to know if there's a legitimate reason to add a third step to my routine.

By the way, the reason I began using the mix was because that's what my barber uses after each haircut and I really like the way it smells. My face is slightly oily and I believe I have sensitive skin.

Please help

You should be using a good cleanser, a broad spectrum sun screen and moisturizer. If you want to use a toner use it after cleansing.

vencasand
02-23-2011, 01:59 PM
you could use your combo after cleansing. purpose is a good all around cleansing agent. then there is cetaphil, neutrogena, there are several on the market. not too expensive. as
y34963 says you should also use a broad spectrum sunscreen moisturizer.

kidcymucks
02-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Thanks for your replies. But my question still hasn't been answered. What is the difference between a cleanser and my mix?

This is the description I found for Sea Breeze:

"Gentle formula deep cleans and refreshes without drying. Sea Breeze Fresh Clean Astringent for Sensitive Skin combines a special blend of cleansing and softening ingredients for a deep, refreshing clean. Feel the fresh clean of Sea Breeze as it removes trapped oil, dirt and makeup that soap leaves behind without over-drying. The cool sensation tells you it's working to clean deeper, leaving your skin looking and feeling fresh and healthy"

Description for Witch Hazel:

*Cleans & Refreshes...Naturally
"Our 100% natural astringent gently cleans and condition skin without removing essential moisture"

So with that being said, the 50/50 mix I use cleans my face. Why would I still need to use a facial cleanser? What benefit does a product that is labeled as a "facial cleanser" offer that my mix does not?

Thanks

abhinav singh
02-24-2011, 06:31 AM
Astringent is the best for oily skin because it contains alcohol or chemicals that irritates sensitive skin and makes dry ever.when you will use facepack,then you can add little amount of astringent into it and apply on the face,that will really helpful to your skin.

kidcymucks
02-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Ok, so I'm guessing that what I suspected is true. Astringents perform the same function as Facial Cleansers. So why are there so many different products? I was in the Acne products isle @ Walmart for almost 30 minutes comparing various products. From the descriptions, they all "appear" to do the same things, yet prices range from around $4-$45. What's the deal with that?

y34963
02-25-2011, 06:23 AM
No, astringents do not perform the same function as a good cleanser. You should cleanse your face then use an astringent or toner. Sometimes companies try to combine the two together but they should be used separate. Cleanse first then if you choose to use an astringent although that would depend on your skin type.

vencasand
02-25-2011, 03:35 PM
A cleanser is a facial care product that is used to remove make-up, dead skin cells, oil, dirt and other types of pollutants from the skin of the face. This helps to unclog pores and prevent skin conditions such as acne.

A crystal of alum, an astringentAn astringent (also spelled adstringent) substance is a chemical compound that tends to shrink or constrict body tissues, usually locally after topical medicinal application. The word "astringent" derives from Latin adstringere, meaning "to bind fast". Two common examples are calamine lotion and witch hazel.

there is a difference!!!

Carolsue22
03-07-2011, 05:00 PM
I would say that an astringent does not clean the skin. Ususally astringents and toners are used to restore ph balance and remove the last bits of makeup, grime and cleanser. If you have oily skin then consider a milk cleanser or something gentle as a foaming wash will be to drying then apllying an astringent. Plus cleansers sometimes have a little exfoliate in them so they can slough off dead skin and promote circulation. I use a cleanser and a toner then moisturize and I believe those are the steps for great looking skin.