PDA

View Full Version : Piokiloderma of civatte remedy

gardenlady
07-22-2010, 02:45 PM
I am finding that my piokiloderma of civattge has almost disappeared after 5 days of topical treatment with extra thick anti-fungal cream applied morning and bedtime as indicated on the tube. So I am beginning to think that this "cosmetic" medical issue is actually a fungal colony. In addition, I am eating healthy foods and avoiding all sugar since that is what fungi grows on. Before I first applied the anti-fungal cream, I scrubbed with an exfoliating sponge to take off the rough area.

vencasand
07-23-2010, 01:44 PM
i am glad it has almost disappeared. who diagnosed you with piokiloderma of civatte? this is a totally cosmetic problem and anti fungal creams should't have worked. the best thing to do is sunscreen. this is a benign condition and i am wondering why the anti fungal cream worked?

Dr.Deepak
09-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Thats interesting, i was wondering about it too how do fungal cream worked with in 5 days. Was the disease diagnosed by a dermatologist or u yourself guessed it was poikiloderma of civatte. It might have been misdiagnosed. Anyway interesting one.

SheriL6
07-22-2011, 03:53 PM
I was diagnosed by my dermatologist for this (on the "V" of my upper chest), and I can clearly see by samples of pictures online that mine looks like it, for sure. Two questions:
1) she told me to avoid ibuprofen, as it can trigger flare-ups...is there any other drug that might do the same thing? is it safe to take Naproxen?
2) previous dermatologist had me using steriod creams and trying to wean off of them...I probably used them too long (going without always caused it to flare back up)...this new derm. has me using Amlactin cream...after a little over a week, redness and reddish bumps have reappeared and I now seem to be getting some itchy, dry patches...I'm honestly considering using the antifungal cream...hmmm...hope someone has something valuable to share...many thanks! P.S. I read somewhere that an "alkaline" based diet helped someone get this under control, but I'm not completely clear on that yet.

vencasand
07-26-2011, 02:42 PM
naproxen is in the same family as ibuprofen and i don't know why your derm said not to take these but then i am not a doctor. the amlactin cream is one of the usual trying everything treatments for this. the best help for this is "intense pulse light" ipl treatments. i really don't think an antifungal is going to help you. it is recommended that you not use frangranced soap, creams, etc on this part of your body. you are to use a good sunscreen.

SheriL6
07-26-2011, 09:59 PM
thanks for your feedback, Brenda...I don't use soap on the area and haven't for yrs (I use Cetaphil)...so far the antifungal is giving my skin a better look and feel than the Amlactin...I will look into the other therapy you mention...and yes, I habitually use sunscreen

gardenlady
07-26-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm sorry that I haven't blogged in a year. I am not very good with my computer online. The fungal skin problem has not re-ocurred. I used Smith & Nephew Secura extra thick anti-fungal cream that I ordered online after trying what was used on a relative in a nursing home.
It did take a long time for the fungus to completely clear. I just followed directions on the tube, twice a day, and I did apply it rather thick.
When I had my annual check-up, my doc says, yes, that is a fungus. But originally he thought it was a food allergy and he took a biopsy that was negative.
You might be interested to learn how I discovered this was a fungus. I read a blog online from someone in Australia and he was amused at the current opinion the medical community concerning piokiloderma of civatte. Kangeroos had died with the same problem and he found the fungus in an autopsy.
Yes, an alkiline diet did help. Lots of brown rice, nuts, tomato juice, very little meat and dairy, lots of fruits & veggies. But my eyes became dry & I had to stop it after 10 days. This was months before the anti-fungal cream.

SheriL6
07-27-2011, 04:32 AM
Gardenlady, thank you so much for indulging me and sharing your story. So you're saying that the Poikiloderma of Civatte has, inherentlhy, a fungus that accompanies it (is what the Australian blogger stated)? I would like to be clear on that. For now I am using only fungal cream, and all seems headed in a better direction at the moment, but I will also comment down the road here for the benefit of others who may be looking for help, too. Hope you won't mind answering the questions stated earlier in this response. Again, many thanks ---Sheri