PDA

View Full Version : Male pattern baldness?

MichaelCoupon
07-09-2010, 08:02 PM
I heard that male pattern baldness is an inherited trait from your mother side. Is this true or is it a myth? My uncles from my mom's side are bald, and I'm afraid I might be one too when I get older.

y34963
08-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Yes it is true.

Chicagofm
09-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi Michael, is is true that male pattern baldness often comes from the mother's side, but a lot of people are not aware the problem skips generations. In otherwords, it's quite common for a man to grow old with a full hair of head, even though his grandfather is bald or balding. What happens is the recessive gene in the DNA often skips generations. I mention this because I don't want people out there thinking that just because the Mom's father is bald, that they are going to have the same problem.

Early on, if you suspect you are losing hair, you can speak to your doctor about getting Finestride, a much cheaper and generic version of Propecia. It does work, but the meds need to be taken daily at about 1mg.

I hope this helps.

nhtindia
08-27-2016, 10:11 AM
Not entirely true. While the primary baldness gene is on the X chromosome, which men get only from their mothers, other factors are also in play. The hereditary factor is slightly more dominant on the woman's side, but research suggests that men who have a bald father are more likely to develop male pattern baldness than those who don't.