PDA

View Full Version : What could be causing my skin to itch? What can I do to relieve it?

tater_cate
02-10-2010, 10:09 AM
In mid-December, my feet became very itchy, to the point that scabs formed and I couldn't stop scratching my feet. The itching gradually moved to my legs and is now also on my thighs and arms and I'm finding it impossible to stop scratching. For over a week, I've started taking a couple Benadryl per day, which helps to take away some of the itch, only for a few hours. I don't have hives or a rash, though my skin will get bumps after I itch it. I've tried changing soaps and laundry detergents and my skin hasn't improved at all. I went to my doctor, who told me it was dry skin and that I should use Uremol on the affected places. I also tried hydrocortisone. Neither of these worked, so I really don't think it's just dry skin. I didn't begin taking or stop taking any medications when this started (I did stop taking Remeron a few weeks before, but I don't see how that would still be affecting me). My environment and diet haven't changed.
After almost two months, I've had enough. What could be causing this? What else can I try to relieve the itching? I really, really appreciate any help!

boron
02-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Tater cate,

it's pretty likely your itch is due to Remeron withdrawal. Search online for "remeron withdrawal symptoms itch". I believe you will kinda need to go through it somehow and itch will stop with the time.

Besides Benadryl, this can help a bit:
- avoiding heat sources, hot showers...and applyinig cold wet compresses
- avoiding painkillers of any type if possible. Pain and itch exclude each other, so painkillers may aggravate itch
- avoiding scratching or avoiding scratching with nails, but rather massaging the area with hands (I know...)

Dr.Deepak
02-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Could be fungal infection try using antifungal medication with hydrocortisone in it..disinfect your shoes or try changing shoes and socks. Yea in winter feet often gets dry and when its dry it starts itching. As boron said remeron withdrawal may have aggravated more itching... but i guess u stopped following as tapering dose (gradually decreasing)..

tater_cate
02-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Thanks Boron and Deepak!
Could Remeron withdrawal still be affecting me after 2 months? I stopped taking it very, very gradually and I was only taking it for a month total. It did cause my feet to swell from water and weight gain, which my doctor gave me diuretics for. The swelling in my feet is what started it. So, I guess it could be due to any of the above, possibly even the diuretics.
I'm pretty sure it's not a fungal infection. I don't spend much time outside of my house, so I haven't come in contact with anyone to get it from. Would such an infection spread throughout my entire body? I don't know all that much about it.

boron
02-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Tater cate, there are whole storries about Remeron withdrawal online. Search "remeron withdrawal symptoms itch" or so.

Bumps appearing after scratching could be due to "cholinergic urticaria". Some people get itch after a hot shower, some after merely pressing to the skin, and so on. It sounds possible to me that you have developed this after Remeron.

Fungal infection would result in an obvious and fixed rash (discolorating and scaling) affecting your groin and other skin folds.

vallan
02-12-2010, 03:51 PM
I used to get really itchy skin in the winter. I solved the problem by taking a B-complex vitamin pill every morning and putting an all natural ingredient moisturizer with glycolic acid or alpha-hydroxy on every morning after as shower. Sounds like a lot of work but just whip it on quickly. The moisturizer alone didn't do it, but the B vitamins did. I was even taking a regular multivitamin before. I guess "minimum daily requirements" in my case were higher. (Dry skin can be caused by everything from liver problems to electric heaters, so it's hard to say what will work for you.)

boron
02-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Vallan, do you have any digestive problems, or have you ever had low levels of any vitamin or mineral? Are you sure it is vitamin B that helps you and not maybe some other supplement you take?

tater_cate
02-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Maybe it is Remeron withdrawal, then.
I get monthly b12 shots and take b6 daily, so I think if vitamin b was going to help me, it would've already.
I'm also looking into celiac because I already have many of the symptoms related to it.

boron
02-13-2010, 07:23 AM
Have you tried gluten-free diet

tessa123
03-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Maybe its the bed sheets your sleeping on. I had terrible rashes down my back a few years ago and i couldn't figure out what was causing them. I went to my GP and he said that synthetic bed linens could irritate the skin, and that I should try buying organic anti allergenic sheets instead. The best ones I found are made of bamboo, and my back cleared up within two weeks! I recommend giving it a try if nothing else is working!

Tessa :D

jennie455
03-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Stress and anxiety can also lead to skin itchiness and irritation. Try to avoid stressful situation. You can try homemade remedies mentioned on *********** forum to get rid of your itchiness. For an in invite code in "greatskin".

jennie455
03-31-2010, 08:33 AM
Skin dryness can cause itchiness. Add oatmeal to your bath and soak yourself in it for 20-30 minutes. This will help your skin retain moisture and get rid of itchiness.