PDA

View Full Version : Redness/swelling around mouth - what is this?

tsalber
01-06-2010, 08:27 AM
Hi (this may be in the wrong forum...please move if someone knows where it belongs)

I've done some light research and have ceased use of fluoride toothpastes, but that has not helped. Even switching to just water and toothbrush has not helped. I'm using cetaphil anti-bacterial soap as my facewash. It's been about 2 weeks and no real change.

The redness is very slightly swelled, smoother than the rest of the skin, but ever so slightly. It feels raised. It isn't more sensitive. The severity of the redness responds to massaging and agitation. The redness seems to be beneath the skin. It isn't scaly or "dry" If the pictures aren't that clear, it seems to be slightly blotchy too. It's more severe on the underside than above.

Any ideas what it is?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Blast8180/DSC00023.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Blast8180/DSC00020.jpg

vencasand
01-06-2010, 01:34 PM
do you bite your lips or lick your lips a lot. it looks like chaffing. be gentle with your washing. maybe apply some hydrocortisone at night. you could also try moisturizing. i don't think it is a fungal infection. do you live in a cold area? does it burn?

tsalber
01-06-2010, 03:52 PM
No biting or licking of the lips whatsoever. I will try hydro-cortisone. What kind of moisturizer should I be looking for?

I live in Los Angeles, CA, and it's cold-ish right now.

Dr.Deepak
01-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Well it looks like Perioral Dermatitis to me. have you contacted dermatologist..? Have you already used some medications for this. Exactly how has it been, Do you often take juicy fruits ?

The first step i would suggest is to avoid using all cosmetics, cleansers, and moisturizers ( especially those containing petrolatum, isopropyl myristate and paraffin, others might be ok as long as it doesn't aggravate more) and also excess hot foods and alcohol. Also avoid Topical steroid creams or ointments too..Sometimes low potent hydrocortisone cream might be used initially but get a suggestions from doctor for this, i personally wouldn't suggest for the first line therapy.

Yea stop use of fluoride toothpastes, Fluoride-free toothpaste are available in market..and continue using Cetaphil or just plain luke warm water, never scrub while washing..

Topical antibacterial lotions and creams can be used ...like say topical metronidazole and other antiacne medications like those containing benzoyl peroxide or clindamycin. Threatment might need to continue for several weeks to months to avoid recurrences.

Well.. the exact diagnosis might differs just looking at the pic and seeing you personally, so consult dermatologist for the accurate diagnosis and management.