PDA

View Full Version : Review: Philosophy Hope In A Jar

chicque
07-09-2008, 03:59 AM
I just bought this the other day, and I've started to use it. It's a moisturizer from Philosophy, another semi-organic brand that is similar to Origins. When I started using it, I felt that my skin was softer than usual. However, it was a little more oily than usual. Then I found out that this moisturizer was originally designed for chemical peel patients! So I'm thinking that this product is not so good in the summer for normal skin, but probably amazing in the winter, since it moisturizes so much.

You can buy Philosophy Hope In A Jar (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P4633&cm_mmc=us_search-_-GG-_-br%20philo-_-S1215575913_ADOGOE_AGI1092216_CRE1825879877_TID104 635087_RFDd3d3Lmdvb2dsZS5jb20%3d) for $15-$60 at Sephora.

Starchild47
07-10-2008, 03:20 AM
Did you read the ingredients on this? It contains lactic acid which can make the skin leathery or dull if used over long periods of time. It also had a lot of alcohol or alcohol like products which can dry out the skin as well if used a lot. It also contains the ever dreaded parabens that has been reported to cause cancer.
UGGGGH this is why I make my own stuff

chicque
07-10-2008, 04:27 AM
i haven't heard of lactic acid turning your skin leathery. its an alpha hydroxy acid which exfoliates your skin & helps the rate of cell turnover. yes, it has alcohol, and alcohol can be drying, but it also has about 8 emollients! and if it had enough parabens to actually be deemed harmful, don't you think they wouldn't be selling it? lol just a thought :)

mimico
07-10-2008, 08:14 AM
Do you know if the product's good for acne-prone skin? I've always wanted to try this product as well as the one for blemishes, but I never got around to spending my money on this. Even though it's supposedly natural, it just costs a lot! So I'd like to know if it's worth it--thanks!

Starchild47
07-11-2008, 07:11 AM
Do you think the manufacturers care that they are selling harmful chemicals? Of course not and what you really have to understand here is that using one item with parabens might not be really harmful but when you think about how much there is in all the shampoos, body washes, cremes, lotions, etc that you put on your body every day, it can add up to something harmful to you in a hurry.

So yeah I believe they put it out there. Just like I know how bad mineral oil is for the skin. Think you are putting refined motor oil on your face, but they sell it all day long at every store there is and you know why? Because its cheap to produce so they get a better profit margin using it in their products. That is why most quality products cost a lot more!

skiqueen
11-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Do you think the manufacturers care that they are selling harmful chemicals? Of course not and what you really have to understand here is that using one item with parabens might not be really harmful but when you think about how much there is in all the shampoos, body washes, cremes, lotions, etc that you put on your body every day, it can add up to something harmful to you in a hurry.

So yeah I believe they put it out there. Just like I know how bad mineral oil is for the skin. Think you are putting refined motor oil on your face, but they sell it all day long at every store there is and you know why? Because its cheap to produce so they get a better profit margin using it in their products. That is why most quality products cost a lot more!

Great points! Why put yourself in harms way?

vencasand
11-11-2010, 02:11 PM
i have to use parabens to make medication for children so they last thru their therapy. otherwise the medication would go bad. i am telling you the amount we use at the pharmacy isn't harming anyone. it is such a minute quantity we have to use. if you notice in most cosmetics parabens are the last or one of the last things they mention on the list of ingredients. i am sorry but i dissagree with parabens being that bad for you. may be the powders might if you eat the whole jar!!!!!!!!!

y34963
11-11-2010, 05:11 PM
I love Philosophy products and have used Hope In A Jar and I believe it is a good product.

I have the same thoughts as Brenda with regard to parabens. Better a preservative in our products than none. I make my own products and use a preservative and think it is better to error on the side of caution. I can imagine products without them. The shelf life would be 7 days at best and that is when kept in the fridge.