PDA

View Full Version : Skin Cancer Only Caused By Sunlight?

seth
12-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Okay, this is a really naive question, but is skin cancer primarially/wholly down to overexposure to sunlight?
I heard it was, that the gamma radiation in sunlight was the killer, but surely gamma radiation can source from other things; would they be potential causes too, then?

mac121
12-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Skin cancer is mostly seen in the area where the Ozone layer has been depleted and the radiation or the sun rays which contain harmful gamma rays damages your skin and some time you got affected by skin cancer.

avikdip74
12-07-2009, 08:47 AM
you heard it right man.......
Radioactive materials that decay spontaneously produce ionizing radiation, which has sufficient energy to strip away electrons from atoms (creating two charged ions) or to break some chemical bonds. Any living tissue in the human body can be damaged by ionizing radiation in a unique manner. The body attempts to repair the damage, but sometimes the damage is of a nature that cannot be repaired or it is too severe or widespread to be repaired. Also mistakes made in the natural repair process can lead to cancerous cells. The most common forms of ionizing radiation are alpha and beta particles, or gamma and X-rays.

angel
12-19-2009, 12:27 PM
number one cause of skin cancer is ultraviolet radiation. gamma rays are electromagnetic radiation of high frequency so they can cause severe damage if it is absorbed by living tissues.

vencasand
12-19-2009, 02:26 PM
skin cancer can be caused by the sun, tanning beds, medications to combat auto-immune diseases, over exposure to x rays, certain chemicals as arsenic, hydrocarbins in tar, oil and soot.

el canadiano
01-12-2010, 01:22 AM
Any sort of radiation can cause it. No, you shouldn't worry that your friend's Carbon-14 or just a second of exposure will cause you cancer, but don't over-expose yourself. Oh yeah, and you're begging to get yourself skin cancer if you get tanned, in any way.

y34963
01-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Ultraviolet radiation from the sun is the main cause of skin cancer. This also includes the UV rays from sun lamps and tanning beds. Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the US. If you take care and wear a really good broad spectrum sunscreen when you are outside and stay out of the sun as much as possible you will greatly minimize your potential of getting skin cancer.

saggy
02-25-2010, 11:18 AM
One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetime.

* This translates into over 55 million Americans.
* One in 75 will develop melanoma, the often-fatal form of skin cancer, and if the current trends hold true, the percentage will be higher still.
* Melanoma incidence has increased by 1200% since the 1930s.
* In teenagers it has increased by 100% in the past 10 years alone.
* It is the most common cancer in women under 30.
* Deaths from melanoma continue to rise despite newer treatment modalities.

stevesmith
01-08-2011, 10:07 AM
HI,
Skin Cancer are mostly caused by exposure to ultraviolet light or UV radiation. This radiation is found in sunlight.Ultraviolet rays create a chemical reaction with melanin, this chemical cause pigmentation in the skin. The job of melanin is to protect the the body from radiation.When the melanin absorbs too much UV radiation, you will get a sunburn. Increased exposure to UV radiation can cause permanent damage to the melanin and the skin cells,this leading to cancer.

mac38
01-24-2011, 01:09 PM
No sunlight is not the cause for skin cancer then we all would have suffered from skin cancer.It depends upon your body's immune system that how strong are you to tolerate all these radiations.

skinny
08-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Sunlight is not the only cause of sun cancer, though it may be the primary cause, (I have also heard this to be a myth, but I suppose the jury is out on that one). I have heard that high exposure to x-rays, and harsh chemicals are also major contributors. Of course, susceptibility to skin cancer is also directly linked to our genetic predisposition.

sonjabe44
08-16-2011, 02:04 AM
This is so shocking. I was recently able to locate the only product in the entire world that is honest to God “Chemical Free” I am repulsed that I have been poisioning myself, and my babies and was blind to the truth and fooled by marketing execs who can basically use gasoline in skin cream without ever having to tell me the consumer they are doing it. I use the Made from Earth Aloe Body Therapy and the Vitamin Enhanced Face Firming Serum.

I am using something that I am proud of today !And my skin looks and feels amazing ! It oughta be illegal what these folks are doing!

priteshppt
08-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Hello,

Ya gamma rays are big reason for skin cancer and it not only emitted through sun rays but also emitted via various kind of mechanical plants like nuclear plant etc.

rosalyhudson
11-29-2012, 06:05 AM
Yes, most probably exposure of sunlight is the cause of skin cancer due to its ultra violet rays. Also I agree with mac38 on the immune system tolerance.

bharatbookburea
02-28-2013, 11:29 AM
Many of reasons are covered herein this thread, Few of them that i also know are,

Skin is exposed in Ultraviolet (UV) which is most commonly from sunlight.
Immuno suppression-impairment of the immune system, that defends the body from foreign entities.
exposure of skin into high level x-rays .
People with fair skin, especially types that freckle, sunburn easily, or feels painful in the sun
Peoples having certain genetic disorders that deplete skin pigment.
Peoples having history of Skin cancer treatment.
Thanks!

joemunt
03-05-2013, 04:40 AM
Skin Cancer is often cause by exposing your skin on the sun rays to much, that's why it is advisable to use sun block as a protection for our skin.

Emma Brown
09-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Skin Cancer Causes

Ultraviolet (UV) light exposure, most commonly from sunlight, is overwhelmingly the most frequent cause of skin cancer.

Other important causes of skin cancer include the following:

* Use of tanning booths

* Immunosuppression—impairment of the immune system, which protects the body from foreign entities, such as germs or substances that cause an allergic reaction. This may occur as a consequence of some diseases or can be due to medications prescribed to combat autoimmune diseases or prevent organ transplant rejection.

* Exposure to unusually high levels of x-rays

* Contact with certain chemicals—arsenic (miners, sheep shearers, and farmers), hydrocarbons in tar, oils, and soot (may cause squamous cell carcinoma)
Regarding your mother's comment, people who had at least one severe sunburn early in life have a greater risk of developing skin cancer. Mom is right!
Treatment for basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma is straightforward. Usually, surgical removal of the lesion is adequate. Malignant melanoma, however, may require several treatment methods, including surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.

Allendawson
10-17-2013, 07:51 AM
Sun is main factor behind skin cancer. The UV rays that come from sun are very harmful for skin. Therefore, a protection from the sun is required.

kevinkrieger
02-05-2014, 12:12 PM
People with lighter skin color, light hair and light eyes are more at risk of skin cancer because of less melanin in their skin to protect them and also who have unprotected sun exposure are at an increased risk.

vukas
04-08-2014, 09:24 PM
You should definitely not take the sun ligthy and should take proper measures to avoid sun at its hardest

ascotlee
05-14-2014, 06:42 AM
There are number of causes of skin cancer.But sunlight is one of the cause of this problem.

akshey55
05-24-2014, 09:27 AM
thanks for sharing this valuable post

sharncheema
09-04-2014, 05:17 AM
There may be any of the reasons for the skin cancer. Sunburn is commonly reason because it causes the melanoma, which the skin cancer. Regular effect of sunburn can be become the major reason of skin cancer. Solariums causes the UVA and UVB rays which is also very dangerous for the skin. It may cause the skin cancer.

William Smith
06-09-2015, 12:56 PM
No..Its not necessary to be skin cancer only due to sunlight. There may be different reasons of skin cancer...

William Smith
06-23-2015, 12:26 PM
In most cases,skin cancer causes by sun light.

sharncheema
10-20-2016, 09:40 AM
i think there is two type of UV rays and yes, sun is the main reason for skin cancer but some people are affected by this UV rays.

addisoncave
12-08-2016, 07:32 AM
Take a cup of plain yogurt and add the juice of one cucumber and one tomato.
Next, add half a cup of gram flour (besan).
Apply it on your face and neck.
Leave it on for 30-45 minutes and then rinse off with lukewarm water.