PDA

View Full Version : Cucumber Slices Good for Puffy Eyes?

Starchild47
07-08-2008, 10:06 PM
HI
I have read good and bad things about using cucumber slices on eyes that are puffy to reduce the swelling of the lids. When I was younger, we used this a lot and it did appear to help, but I have read that this is a hoax as well.
I have used cool tea bags in the past and this works very well for puffy lids and also seems to diminish those nasty dark circles under the eye as well.
So what do you think about cucumbers? Do you think they are beneficial or not?
Kim
:rolleyes::cool:

Dr.Deepak
07-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Yea people believe that cucumber does reduce the puffyness of eyes and relieve your eyes from tiredness.That's because they are cold! It is the cold (not the cucumber) that shrinks the swelling by constricting blood vessels and thus reducing inflow of fluid into soft tissues.And finally dark circles or puffiness is reduced.
Just remember, anything that is cool either cucumber or tea bags can reduce the puffiness,so its not the the tea bags or cucumber that reduces the puffiness, its the cool properties on them that removes.

Starchild47
07-10-2008, 03:11 AM
I was trying to remember what element in tea was supposed to be good for the skin. I looked it up. It is Tannin and it works as an astringent effect. So the tea does seem to benefit the skin around the eye. Tannin is found in both green, white, red, black tea and oolong.
I am adding a link in case anyone wants to read more about this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannin

mimico
07-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I think this treatment works but only if the cucumber or tea bags are cold. So I guess it has more to do with the temperature rather than on the cucumber or tea bag itself? Rather than placing an ice cube directly on my eye (which would hurt), using a cucumber or tea bag is more pleasant. And still effective in my case. Although if you really have big, red, and swollen eyes then it won't help so much anymore.

aliva
07-17-2008, 08:00 PM
HI
I have read good and bad things about using cucumber slices on eyes that are puffy to reduce the swelling of the lids. When I was younger, we used this a lot and it did appear to help, but I have read that this is a hoax as well.
I have used cool tea bags in the past and this works very well for puffy lids and also seems to diminish those nasty dark circles under the eye as well.
So what do you think about cucumbers? Do you think they are beneficial or not?
Kim
:rolleyes::cool:

Due to excessive water retention property, one develops eye-bags under the eyes. Using cold teabags on the eye everyday is helpful as you experience. In addition you must take care to drink plenty of water.

About cucumber slice…I have not faced any problem yet and it soothes my tired eyes very often. You can try this therapy just for a test. Another method for treating the puffy eye is using raw potato slices or juice-dipped cotton-wool as eye pad.

I fully agree with the admin. that the cool properties actually reduce the puffiness and with the same principle you can use an ice piece instead of tea bags, cucumber or potato slice.

Further, a facial massage with desired aroma oils using special lymphatic drainage technique is highly beneficial for puffy eyes.