PDA

View Full Version : Calluses – cure it yourself.

aliva
07-08-2008, 07:48 PM
These thick patches of dead skin can build up on the body in places that are regularly exposed to pressure or friction. This sometimes painful padding most often appears on the heels and balls of your feet. It’s your foot’s way of pretesting the more fragile layers of tissue below the calluses.

What to do?

Never cut calluses away yourself or you’ll risk infection. Instead try soaking your feet in warm water, then scrubbing the area with a pumice stone or callus file. If you have diabetes, poor circulation or nerve damage, check with your doctor before trying this self treatment. To prevent the calluses from returning, check the fit of all your shoes. A too loose shoe or a too high heel may cause the problem, because the balls of your feet rub forward with every step.

In mild cases of callus formation, protective padding can be very useful. Stay away from pads medicated with salicylic acid, however, which can burn both good and bad skin and could lead to infection. If the calluses persist, you may have a larger health problem than ill-fitting shoes, such as uneven weight distribution or low or high aches, and should consult a doctor.

Kat
05-07-2010, 01:38 AM
This is good advice but you can get products like Vichy or Boots Callous corrector which are creams with mild acidic action. Basically you apply at night for several nights and your skin will start to soften. Sure this is a more gentle and sustainable long-term solution??:)

dale91
05-28-2010, 06:45 AM
Simple home remedy:
* 5tsp extra virgin olive oil and 1tsp of salt , mix them together and apply on callused areas...rub it with rubbing paper...the aftermath is defnitely "heaven scent":h8:

vencasand
05-31-2010, 02:55 PM
walk barefoot in sand for an hour or two a day. when i used to go to the beach my callouses on my heals would get so smooth. it is the scraping of the sand on the dead skin like taking an emory board to your feet. and besides it is fun.

emmawatson
06-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Calluses are a buildup of rough, thick patches of skin on your feet (and sometimes hands).

Corns are similar to calluses, yet the buildup of hard skin is more concentrated in one area and can be deep at their core. They can be soft or hard, depending on what area of the skin they’re on. For example, if a corn is between your toes, chances are it’s a soft corn because the moisture keeps it soft.

If you spend a lot of time on your feet each day or your feet experience regular pressure and rubbing, corns and calluses can develop – especially as you grow older.

Elena K
09-20-2010, 10:33 PM
try soaking your feet in warm water, then scrubbing the area with a pumice stone or callus file.
this works great
even better if you follow up with foot cream and then put on some cotton socks.

vencasand
09-21-2010, 02:11 PM
don't go barefoot! i loved to go barefoot when i was younger. the bottoms of my feet were like leather. i could walk on anything. but as i aged i got bones spurs and had to wear shoes all the time. i hardly have any callouses any more. and them i can just file away with an emory board.

Myra-Chan
03-29-2011, 02:40 PM
Is there a perm cure all? I have been pledged with this since I was 16. I use a large knife filer to rub away the Calluses atm but it always always comes back.

question8er
04-05-2011, 03:19 AM
Myra-Chan, You can get a Lactic Acid Lotion from your derm or you can get Am-Lactin from Walmart or your local pharmacy. Apply morning and night. My cracks on my heels were horrendous and now so nice and pink and soft.

y34963
04-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Yes Question8er, a lactic acid lotion does wonders. I use one all the time, except I make my own which is really easy to do.

question8er
04-05-2011, 06:30 AM
I make my own as well. I like a higher % level than the prescription LacHydrin that I started out using. Battled extreme dry skin and cracking and craters up my legs for my whole life (40-something years) and no one ever suggested this treatment. Been to dozens of Derms.
It's my miracle solution! :h4:

dale91
04-19-2011, 01:26 AM
Strawberries is my favorite

I love these berries since it gently refresh, brighten and exfoliate the skin, remove impurities, and reduce redness and swelling. Strawberries make a wonderful cleansing and skin softening facial mask. The antioxidants in the fruit help to repair skin damage and counteract aging by assisting the cells in regeneration and repairs.