PDA

View Full Version : Caffeine and Aging

Kliz
11-10-2009, 08:18 PM
So i've been reading a lot lately that caffeine can do a lot of damage to the skin and age us must more quickly. Somewhere said that caffeine itself releases stress hormones that add to the aging process. What do you guys think about this/has anyone else looked into it? Is there a safe amount of caffeine we can consume or do we have to cut it out completely?

Roi
11-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Well, there is one major thing that effect your skin when you are smoking - the smoke around you that touch you face skin.
It damage your skin porousness, seal and fill them with unhealthy materials and will make your skin look withered and old.

Kliz
11-16-2009, 06:16 PM
I don't smoke, but I have been drinking more and more coffee and energy drinks lately so I was just wondering because I worry about everything haha

vencasand
11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
coffee does keep most people awake. but i enjoy a good cup of coffee. i don't drink sodas any more but i do drink fruit drinks with vitamins in it. i have to stay away from aspertame,nutrasweet because it gives me headaches. it makes my sister have blood in her urine so we stay away from it. you have to eat at least one good meal a day to stay healthy. if you are busy and can't fix a meal order a veggie pizza!! don't smoke as roi said. if you are young and healthy coffee won't hurt you. if you have elevated blood pressure, stick to maybe 3 cups a day. (i have mugs that hold about 3 cups in one!!) caffeine in coffee works as a diuretic so make sure you don't drink so much you are in the bathroom most of the time! it can dehydrate you so go for plain water or juice so that doesn't happen.

y34963
11-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Like vencasand said, stick to a few cups a day and you should be fine. Don't over do anything - moderation is key. I like your mugs vencasand I think I have a wine glass like that, holds about 1/2 a bottle, lol.

dreamchaser214
11-17-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm a coffee addict and this issue also bothers me. I've read in an article that caffeine accelerates aging. Caffeine contributes to the decline in production of hormones produced in abundance during youth - DHEA, melatonin, and others - which speeds the aging process. Because caffeine dehydrates the body, skin loses water from its cells, causing wrinkling and sagging.

Kliz
11-20-2009, 05:38 PM
I mainly go for the energy drinks when i'm worn down but I feel like it is so artificial and it makes my body work twice as hard so I just thought it probably wasn't too healthy or good for my skin

Jewell
01-05-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm a coffee addict and this issue also bothers me. I've read in an article that caffeine accelerates aging. Caffeine contributes to the decline in production of hormones produced in abundance during youth - DHEA, melatonin, and others - which speeds the aging process. Because caffeine dehydrates the body, skin loses water from its cells, causing wrinkling and sagging.

Yes, the news about caffeine is not good. We use too many stimulants today to keep ourselves going in the crazy pace of life we've created. I think the answer to "gentle" aging, or maturing as I prefer to call it, is taking care or yourself in all aspects. This includes moderation in caffeine, alcohol and energy drinks (especially the highly caffeinated ones).

Water is extremely important to our bodies (we are approx 60% water). Caffeine does dehydrate the body, and therefore dehydrates the skin. If you want to prevent premature aging - moderation in caffeine intake is important.

All the best :h5:

saggy
02-25-2010, 11:04 AM
It’s the common complaint you hear uttered by friends, family and co-workers throughout the day. “I just can’t get going without my cup of coffee!” What happened to the days of childhood when we used to bound out of bed with plenty of energy and we kept going at an energetic pace until night? Most people assume that age causes diminished energy supply, but the latest research is shedding new light on lifestyle practices that ultimately lead to fatigue.

Although we reach for the coffee or tea cup hoping to boost our energy, studies show that we are actually inducing a state of stress. Caffeine drives the adrenal glands to produce stress hormones that can remain in the blood stream up to 18 hours after consumption. These hormones produce the “fight or flight” response nature designed to help save our lives when every bit of energy was required to survive an impending disaster such as an attack by a foe. In today’s world, where we are more often sitting at a desk, driving in our car, or eating a meal, caffeine can put us into a chronic state of stress with no way for our body to burn off the extra fuel and hormones. Caffeine-induced stress can produce mood swings and insomnia, increase muscle tension, impair digestion and nutrition, restrict blood circulation to the brain, elevate blood pressure, create blood sugar swings, and accelerate heart rate. Yet the lines at the local coffee bar are still stretching out the door with people desperate for their next caffeine fix.

Caffeine addiction is rampant in our society. Caffeine is the only unregulated drug in our food supply. There are no requirements for the quantity of caffeine to be labeled on foods or soft drinks. Most people don't know that their coffee flavored ice cream or yogurt may be supplying a hefty dose of caffeine just when they want to relax at the end of a hectic day. Mothers don't suspect that the root beer and orange soda they are giving their children may also contain caffeine. Students studying late at night don't realize that caffeine restricts the oxygen flow to their brain up to 30% and impairs memory retention. Under the guise of alertness, caffeine has fooled them into thinking they will be better prepared for their exams in the morning.

While the adrenals are busy pumping out cortisol to send energy to the muscles and divert energy from the digestive and immune systems, there is a very important hormone they aren't making: DHEA. It turns out that the adrenals have to reduce their production of the most important anti-aging hormone your body requires for youth and longevity in order to produce the stress hormones that ultimately weaken your immune system and impair your health. DHEA is the mother hormone for all the sex hormones such as estrogen and testosterone as well as it increases your brain's seratonin levels naturally. So if you've been feeling down in the dumps and your lover no longer interests you, check out how much caffeine you are consuming daily in that coffee mug of yours!

bioflora
02-25-2010, 11:05 AM
I agree that excess usage of caffeine in any form increases the signs of aging and also increases the risk of various diseases like blood pressure and heart attacks. I suggest everyone to reduce the usage of caffeine in daily life.
Regards,
Bio Flora

LadyInGreen
09-10-2015, 06:23 AM
Wow I had no idea that coffee is so dangerous. :omg:

andrestrang
01-17-2017, 12:50 PM
oh my god, i have no idea that cafe is dangerous to our health. My relatives are fond of coffee for every morning and during doing their work. I must tell them about this.

shafiqaaarif
11-13-2017, 11:23 AM
Caffeinated drinks and caffeine itself causes dehydration in the body. for healthy and younger looking skin you need to be hydrated. so its true to say that Caffeine cause aging.

Shizakhan
11-16-2017, 07:31 AM
Older adults demonstrate high levels of nocturnal cortisol release, which is observed in the increased jitteriness, fearfulness, and anxiety often seen in older adults.16 Coffee and caffeine increase and exacerbate the age-related rise in cortisol levels.