PDA

View Full Version : seborrheic dermatitis treatment

Austiner
11-09-2009, 07:10 PM
I've had seborrheic dermatitis for almost 2 years now. I was on Nizoral 1% for the first 3-4 months and it had cleared almost all. But then i had to go to another places and i discontinue using it and didn't continue after that as it was all cleared. Then after almost one and half year it came back again . This time 1% Nizoral didn't worked. Doctor advice me to use 2% Nizoral didn't work and again to Selsun, that didn't work either. I even tried coal tar shampoo, but that too didn't worked. I'm sensitive to steroids creams so i can't use it.

Are there any other treatments good for me.

vencasand
11-10-2009, 01:36 PM
have you tried just plain head and shoulders? my boss has seborrheic dermatitis and he uses head and shoulders. there are all kinds now. the one with zinc should help. he uses a steroid when it gets on his face but mostly the shampoo. i have psoriasis and nothing works.

Austiner
11-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I haven't used head and shoulders yet. i'll give it a try. Lets hope for the best as i don't think there are any other options.

vencasand
11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
you can't give up. never give up. i have psoriasis and it is bad on my legs and back and head. i am trying everything i can. not all at one time of course. i give each product a 30 day testing period. i still haven't found something to make the lesions go away but i will always keep trying.

Dr.Deepak
11-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Few details here too...

http://dermatalk.com/blogs/skin-disorders/seborrheic-dermatitis-treatment/

saggy
02-25-2010, 11:59 AM
The treatment of seborrheic dermatitis depends on its location on the body. Treatment also depends on your age.

Seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp (dandruff) in adults and adolescents. Dandruff is usually treated with a shampoo that contains salicylic acid (some brand names: Scalpicin, X-Seb), selenium sulfide (brand names: Exsel, Selsun Blue) or zinc pyrithione (some brand names: DHS Zinc, Head & Shoulders). These shampoos can be used 2 times a week. Shampoos with coal tar (some brand names: DHS Tar, Neutrogena T/Gel, Polytar) may be used 3 times a week. If you have dandruff, you might start by using one of these shampoos daily until your dandruff is controlled, and then use it 2 or 3 times a week.

When you use a dandruff shampoo, rub the shampoo into your hair thoroughly and let it stay on your hair and scalp for at least 5 minutes before rinsing. This will give it time to work.

If the shampoo alone doesn't help, your doctor might want you to use a prescription steroid lotion once or twice daily, in addition to the shampoo.

Seborrheic dermatitis of the skin creases in adolescents and adults. Steroid lotions may be used in adolescents and adults.

Seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp (cradle cap) in babies. Seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp in babies is treated with products that are not as strong as those used in adults. You might start with a mild, nonmedicated baby shampoo. Brushing your baby's scalp with a soft brush, like a toothbrush, can help loosen scales or flakes. But be gentle when massaging or brushing your baby's scalp--a break in the skin makes it vulnerable to infection. If a nonmedicated shampoo doesn't work, talk to your doctor about switching to a shampoo that contains tar. Or your doctor may recommend a prescription shampoo that contains 2% ketoconazole (brand name: Nizoral).