PDA

View Full Version : AHA! You’re showing too much skin.

aliva
07-08-2008, 07:38 PM
If you use a cosmetic that contains alpha hydroxyl acids, use extra sunscreen when outdoors, even in winter.

AHAs have a modest effect in reducing fine wrinkles and other signs of photo-aging by removing the top, sun-damaged layer of skin. But this also makes your skin more vulnerable to further sun damage. Even though some of these cosmetics contain a sunscreen, you’ll still need extra sun protection even a week after using the product.

Protect your skin.

chicque
07-08-2008, 08:02 PM
my dermatologist also added that if you start using AHA creams, you should do your best to avoid sun exposure the first week of usage.

Starchild47
07-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I have heard the same thing that anytime using AHA products especially strong ones like Retin A that you need to limit sun exposure greatly to the point of avoiding it if all possible and totally stay away from tanning beds as well. I understood that it was not just for a week but for the length of time that the product was being used. The new AHA lotions may not have enough concentrate as some of the prescription products do but its a good thing to avoid in the meantime. If you have to be tanned use some of the products like Fake Bake which work really well and do not make you orange or funny looking if they are used properly

mimico
07-09-2008, 01:49 AM
I'm not a big fan of AHA. I've tried using it before to help get rid of my acne scars but it was itchy and too strong for my skin. Not only did I have tomato face every night, it was also uncomfortable that I always washed it off anyway. SO now I'll just stick to whitening creams and the procedures at my dermatologist.

Starchild47
07-10-2008, 03:03 AM
I agree Mimico,my skin is very sensitive and when Retin A came out, I got some to see if it would help my acne and also those pesky lines around my eyes. I looked like my face had been cooked or sun burned horribly the next day. I have stayed away from them ever since. If I get anyting else done I will get a peel done from a professional.