PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to take methotrexate with the psoriasis

Ben
07-07-2008, 08:11 PM
8 weeks ago I got a sore throat and a week and a half later i had red lesions all over me. after being diagnosed with guttate psoriasis and using tar topicals for 5 weeks, it has progressed into a worse form of psoriasis and a lot more coverage. It doesnt itch, but i find myself wearing long sleves and pants 24/7. Last monday The psoriasis on my right calf developed oedema and a subsequent blood test to rule out a DVT showed a white cell count of 3.2. I was informed the "normal count" is between 3.5 and 8.0 i am also finishing off a prescrirtion of CEPHALEXIN to correct the throat infection. Is it safe for me to take methotrexate to help with the psoriasis and should i be concerned of the side effects??Any input will be greatly appreciated............

beefire9
07-07-2008, 08:23 PM
I have been afflicted with severe psoriasis for 20 years. At one point I even had psoriatic arthritis. I was given methotrexate injections biweekly for 6 months and then took it orally for another year or so. It cleared up the arthritis, but didn't completely clear up my skin and didn't help my nails at all. Your case may not be as severe as mine is. So methotrexate may clear up your shin, but there are side effects that you should do some research on. I finally had to stop taking it, because of gastrointestinal problems and a feeling of tightness in my esophagus. I don't want to make you overly concerned. I have known others who have had pretty good results treating their psoriasis with topical steroids and Daivonex seems to be a good non steroidal topical treatment. I have only had my skin and nails clear once in 20 years and that lasted for a couple of months.Salt water and the sun have done more for my skin than any of the medications that I've taken over the years.Don't let me frighten you. Some have it worse than I do, but most don't. Good luck.

Bono
07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
I have been on methotrexate (MTX) for nearly 1 years.I have no problems with it,I have blood tests done every 6-8 weeks.

Ben
08-23-2008, 11:23 AM
thank you i'm using methotrexate now ..so till date no side effects.. its working fine. thank you for your help.

Bono
08-23-2008, 11:27 AM
you are welcome.nice to see its working on you.. keep updating if you have any side effects

Dr.Deepak
09-24-2008, 07:21 PM
make sure you don't have abnormal liver and renal functions,peptic ulcers and diabetes and make sure your infection has subside.So its better to check for your renal function and other possible infections before taking it.Visit doc for accurate prescription.