PDA

View Full Version : Exfoliation daily good or bad

Crazy Girl
06-18-2009, 11:06 AM
O.k here is another questions that i'm confused about. My friend has a bit oily skin and she exfoliate daily. But my skin is not that oily, must say a bit drier. So do i have to exfoliate daily as she said exfoliating daily makes face good as it removes dirt.

Dr.Deepak
06-18-2009, 04:53 PM
If you have planned to exfoliate daily for your dry skin then you might be in the wrong side. Apart from those with extreamely oily skin,daily exfoliation is not a good idea. It takes few days for dead cells to accumulate. So if you exfoliate daily you might be removing too many healthy living cells too,which increases the chance of skin irritation and skin damage.

Valence
06-18-2009, 10:48 PM
If you have planned to exfoliate daily for your dry skin then you might be in the wrong side. Apart from those with extreamely oily skin,daily exfoliation is not a good idea. It takes few days for dead cells to accumulate. So if you exfoliate daily you might be removing too many healthy living cells too,which increases the chance of skin irritation and skin damage.

Deepak, I totally agree with your opinion on the daily exfoliation! You should NOT exfoliate your skin, especially FACE, everyday! Twice a week of exfoliation is more than enough for those people with DRY skin!:omg:

ALWAYS... moisturize your skin!!!:h10:

emmawatson
06-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Are you wondering if you should be exfoliating if you have oily, acne skin? Is exfoliation beneficial for acne skin sufferers? These are questions many people who have oily, acne skin are asking. Although there are many supporters and critics alike of exfoliation in an acne skin care program and if you are under the care of a doctor or physician, you should follow your doctor’s advice, however we believe that routine exfoliation for acne skin can be really beneficial if it is not overdone.

Elena K
09-21-2010, 03:30 AM
Daily exfoliation will do more harm than good to your skin, even if your skin is very oily.

You shouldn't exfoliate more than 2-3 times a week

y34963
09-21-2010, 03:50 AM
Do not exfoliate more than once a week. You want to take that dead skin off so your products will work better but you don't want to take the barrier off either. Once a week is sufficient.

skinblogs
11-10-2010, 07:55 AM
i would only use face scrubs once every 2-4 weeks. exfoliating is not cleansing. a daily cleanser does not exfoliate, it cleanses. the dead skin layer is really there to protect us from harsh elements, especially UV radiation. people that exfoliate daily run the risk of creating imbalanced skin health the becomes very apparent once they stop exfoliating.

jada
11-12-2010, 01:51 AM
I'm with you guys. Daily exfoliation is not recommended. Even if you're using those gentle exfoliation cleansers. Twice a week is more than enough.

Minty
03-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Don't exfoliate your skin everyday. Using a harsh exfoliator or doing it too much actually will tear at the top layer and dry out your skin doing more harm than good. It should be kept to once, twice a week tops. Also, try using a gentle exfoliator or buying a small loufa to use on your face. I switch between a baking powder paste I make and exfoliating bath gloves that I use to gently wash my face at night.

sallyB
04-03-2011, 04:25 PM
I agree with everyone, daily exfoliation is a bad idea. I do it once a week, usually on a friday nights when I treat myself to a little "me" time with a bubble bath and some pampering - after I put the baby to sleep of course.

Serena
04-05-2011, 04:25 AM
Skin Exfoliation is an extremely crucial process of any skin care regime. Without scrubbing off the dead dry skin, no amount of good products will work on the exterior. These will sit on the top and will never be able to penetrate the upper layers to reach the inner fibroblast.

Since, new cell layers take some time to appear, hence daily exfoliation is not a good idea. It erodes the natural consistency of the skin and prevents fresh new cells from developing.

Application of a scrubber/exfoliator just twice every week should be fine if you happen to have excessively oily skin or excessively dry skin. Otherwise 3-4 times every month should be fine. Follow up with a good moisturizer to prevent dryness.

kimclara
07-03-2012, 09:49 PM
i exfoliate once a week and i feel that it is perfectly fine, too much can dry out your skin even more and actually will cause damage!

skinlover
07-04-2012, 12:51 PM
It can be very addictive to exfoliate everyday, but I've learnt to forget about it and now only remember to do it once a week, your skin will thank you for it!

janeesah
07-05-2012, 02:57 PM
O.k here is another questions that i'm confused about. My friend has a bit oily skin and she exfoliate daily. But my skin is not that oily, must say a bit drier. So do i have to exfoliate daily as she said exfoliating daily makes face good as it removes dirt.

Try not to exfoliate too often... once or twice a week would be fine. Since you have drier skin, you might want to look into a moisturizer/exfoliation combo. I literally just posted about this elsewhere on dermatalk but don't remember which thread it was. LuLu Blossom has a good organic sugar scrub bar that has shea and cocoa butter as well. http://www.lulublossom.com/Collections.html is the shop site, she posts updates and stuff at https://www.fundable.com/lulu-blossom-inc. It smells like frosting, too... nom. :)

Good luck!