PDA

View Full Version : All-Natural Skin Care Products

Natural Elements
06-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Everybody talks about all-natural products, meaning chemical free.

It is a controversial subject and I will try to be as neutral as I can.

First of all, chemical free is a marketing gimmick, because all products are chemical.

Organic skin care products would be interesting, but what are the preservatives used?

Today not a single US manufacturer is required to list their ingredients on their products. Some manufacturers will not list controversial preservatives on their labels and if you are not analyzing the products themselves in a lab, you will never know how the products are made.

As a retailer myself, I wanted to know a little bit about this subject and contacted a lab. I asked a simple question: "Can you manufacture all-natural lotions or creams", and the answer from the chemist was: " It is impossible to make all-natural lotions or creams". Well I was surprised to see that so many businesses claim their products to be all-natural .

My question is, what is the truth? I know that many people say a lot of things, but is just a matter of trust, what are they really selling? I don't see any retailer bringing every single product to be analyzed in lab to check their composition.

The only thing I know is to rely on the FDA, because they will ban any products that are harmful to people's health.

Please share what you think.

AGELESSONE
06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Trust me, the FDA does not always have your best interest at mind.

Natural Elements
06-19-2009, 02:08 AM
Well if you cannot rely on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to protect you, which organization can you rely on?

I would never be able to be 100% sure about claims from a private (for profit) company/corporation/organization.

Natural Elements
06-19-2009, 02:25 AM
Here is an article on Parabens:
http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductandIngredientSafety/SelectedCosmeticIngredients/ucm128042.htm

For example, I saw a competitor claiming all-natural soaps made with a supposedly all-natural ingredient like Grapefruit seed extract. But in reading this article we see that one cannot be sure of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit_seed_extract#GSE_controversy

Like I said some clever maketers use the controversy over certain ingredients to market products as all-natural or non-synthetic at double of triple the price of conventional products. How can this be justified, especially if there is no way to confirm the origins of the ingredients?

EssentialPotion
06-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Going for products with natural ingredients guarantees the safe realization of your skin care goals. This plays especially well when choosing products that lighten the skin either by bleaching it or hampering the melanin production for the skin to be visible fairer. The top ingredients to look out for in natural skin lightening products are acids from Vitamin C, Kojic acid, and Glycolic acid. These natural compounds lighten and protect the skin. Paired with Vitamin A and E, your skin will be fully moisturized while being lightened. Know more about natural skin lightening products by scourging through the ezinearticles website.

vencasand
06-30-2009, 01:13 PM
i work in a pharmacy and all the products that are sold there (over the counter) have to have everything listed in the ingredients, and the inactives. the fda has made all companies to my knowledge list all the ingredients in a product. now i am not saying manufactures are not sneaky listing the inactive ingredients in tiny little print

Natural Elements
07-01-2009, 04:10 PM
I agree with you Vencasand.

The manufacturers can also use a lesser known ingredient name and less people will realize what the ingredient is.

marilynnsyrett
07-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Even if the ingredients are all natural, it is not necessary that they would suit all people. There are many natural ingredients that may be react on certain skin types. So, it is important to be careful with their use.

vencasand
07-02-2009, 12:32 PM
i have seen that many times at the pharmacy Natural E. with the pure chemical name instead of the patented name of products. i use pure aloe that is from Fruit Of The Earth. well i shouln't say pure because it does have a preservitive in it i think. but without preservitives things would go bad in a week. people wouldn't like to spend $50 on something that was only going to be good for 7 days! skin care is important. not just to keep young looking but to be healthy. if you read something on the label you don't understand, don't buy it until you can google it and see what it is!!!!

Natural Elements
07-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Marilynnsyrett you are right, even all-natural products may react on certain skin types. And I will say that some all-natural products with some all-natural acid preservatives may irritate the skin or the people health.

Vencasand right on!
"without preservatives things would go bad in a week. people wouldn't like to spend $50 on something that was only going to be good for 7 days! "

As retailer we sell a range of different kind of products from all-natural to natural with very affordable prices and products formulated more than 20 years ago.

Today, people still love our natural Hawaiian products.

naturesdream
01-03-2012, 06:39 PM
I think everyone has made a good point. I think that knowing your own skin and learning what works for you is what matters. Not all products whether they are all natural or manufactured with chemicals will work for everyone.

So getting to know your skin will help you choose the right products for you and sometimes as much as we hate it, it comes down to trial and error. Our skin needs also change with the weather, our hormones and our environment.

There are some changes that will benefit everyone. Those are: Diet, Exercise, Water (clean pure water), and our indoor air. Believe it or not indoor air pollution plays a huge factor in peoples skin.

Thanks for the postings!

Brenda
01-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Thanks for sharing