PDA

View Full Version : Should i apply sunscreen over or under makeup

Saafi
06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi i'm new to the forum and i have some questions. Should i apply sunscreen over or under makeup ? Do i need extra sunscreen when my day cream foundation base has SPF in it ?

vencasand
06-11-2009, 01:03 PM
under makeup, over medication.

Dr.Deepak
06-12-2009, 02:18 AM
Sunscreen should be applied before makeup. Just wait for 10 mins and then apply foundation. You need not apply sunscreen if your day cream or foundation has SPF in it. But if in case of pigmentation ,it might be better to apply sunscreen in either case.

Saafi
06-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Thank you both of you. One more questions i usually tend to wash off my face with normal soap when i'm back home. Is it good to wash face with soap to remove the makeup because whenever i wash it with soap i feel like fresh than using cleansers.

vencasand
06-12-2009, 02:02 PM
use what works for you. some people have a problem with soaps but if it makes your skin feel good go with it.

Dr.Deepak
06-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Yup soap and water does provide like fresh feeling but soap cleanses the skin superficially and doesn't remove the makeups and other deposits completely, soap might also be alkaline and might upset the normal PH of your skin. A cleanser with right PH helps to dissolve makeup and other deposits thus faciliating the removal of dirt and makeups.

blueskyggs
08-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Thank you so much for the post. It's really useful.:)

[ Link Removed ]

macro01
08-26-2009, 09:07 AM
I also use sunscreen regularly even at home.
Then I just apply loose powder on my face.
Sunscreen is very important it will protect
our skin. :p

skineficial
09-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Hi i'm new to the forum and i have some questions. Should i apply sunscreen over or under makeup ? Do i need extra sunscreen when my day cream foundation base has SPF in it ?

Check out my youtube channel [ Link Removed ].

SparkleMidori
09-16-2009, 12:36 PM
I just talked about this on my beauty blog because I get confused about this all the time before. Here is the post I did today on my blog:

When I first started wearing makeup, I had no idea what to put on first and what to put on next. There are so many products like primers, liquid and powder foundations, that I always get confuse about the correct order I should apply my base makeup. This is what I want to talk about in this post. I believe putting on base makeup in the right order is very important because it helps you achieve that perfect look. So let's start:

Step 1: Sun Protection
A lot of people get confuse about when they should put on sunblock lotion. Some people use it after primer and foundation because they think sunblock need to be on the outer layer in order to protect your skin from UV rays. Some people use it before foundation but after primer. Both ways are actually wrong. Sunblock should be the first step in your face makeup routine because you need to apply sunblock when there is NO powder form products on your face. This way the sunblock can stick to your skin to protect it.

Step 2: Primer
This is optional because not everyone uses primer (but you should to help your makeup last longer). But if you do, this should be the second step in your routine. When applying primer, pat in the primer instead of rubbing it onto your face so it would not affect (destroy) the previous layer of sunblock that you just put on.

Step 3: Pore Minimizing Primer
This is also optional because a lot of people don't need it. But if you do, this should come after the regular primer for your face. When applying this, gently smooth it over the area where you need to cover your pores. You should NOT rub it back and forth (sometimes even I tend to do it because it feels that it can cover my pores better) because this actually just rubs the primer away. You should start with your nose area and gently move in an outward direction.

Step 4: Foundation
If you use liquid foundation, this should be your next step after primer. I'm not going to go into details about applying foundation because there are so many ways to do it. For me, I like using my hands because I feel my hands can warm up the foundation and make it easier to blend.

Step 5: Concealer
You can use concealer before or after your foundation. There is not an absolute correct way. However, I choose this as step 5 because I recommend using concealer after your foundation. This way, you can see which area is not covered well with your foundation and conceal them with a concealer. This prevents you from putting too much makeup on your face so it won't look too heavy. Sometimes, after I use a high coverage foundation, I don't need to apply concealer because my foundation had already covered everything.

Step 6: Powder
Power products should always be your last step because whatever you put on after applying powder will just make it hard to stick to your skin. I recommend using a setting powder as the last step to set your makeup so it will last longer. If you really need some good coverage, you could also substitute the regular setting power with a powder foundation.

So that is the correct way of applying base makeup for your face. Of course, everyone is different so you could definitely change it a bit to fit you. But this should be the general guideline. I hope this helps some people who are not clear about what to put on first.

hopefully this can answer some of the questions

rainingpebbles
09-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Yup soap and water does provide like fresh feeling but soap cleanses the skin superficially and doesn't remove the makeups and other deposits completely, soap might also be alkaline and might upset the normal PH of your skin. A cleanser with right PH helps to dissolve makeup and other deposits thus faciliating the removal of dirt and makeups.

Soap will also dry out your skin. The skin's defence mechanism is to produce more oil once the skin is stripped off it's natural oils which will make your skin seem oilier..

Julia Bartlet
02-12-2010, 04:12 AM
You should apply make up first, however, there are some exceptions due to the chemical compositions of different types of makeup/sunscreen (Water vs. Oil base)

[ Link Under Review ]

chinee
03-27-2010, 11:33 AM
I think you should apply sunscreen before putting your make ups on . If your make up has SPF meaning Sun protection factor then perhaps you don't need a sunscreen anymore. But if you are not satisfied with its content then thats the time you should put a sunscreen, just make sure that your skin will not get irritated when you apply them both.

ktm
05-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Yes you should use your sunscreen lotion before makeup or your fairness cream or any other product.That will help you to protect from sun UV rays and also show your glowing skin because of your fairness cream.I am also use the sun screen lotion just like that.It does not effect your skin.Before using sun screen lotion clean up your face with water.

jasmine
06-20-2010, 09:22 AM
The use of sunscreen is better to protect the skin from the sun and so now I came to know well about the use of it should always be the first before the make up. Then using soap to wash is also a very good habit to keep all the body clean and healthy after being going out in such hot conditions.

gramefernandez@
07-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Thanku so much for the post. Its useful for us.

[link removed ]

y34963
07-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanku so much for the post. Its useful for us.
[link removed ]

You might want to cease advertising your product except in the marketplace area. Your post has no relevance in this thread.

SPAM!!!:evil:

Elena K
10-04-2010, 03:45 AM
I usually wear sunscreen under make up, but I read a theory that is you wear sunscreen over make up it will protect not only your skin, but also your make up from being ruined by sun. have anyone else heard this?

abhinav singh
10-31-2011, 06:51 AM
Obviously under makeup because if you use it over makeup then it ruined your all makeup.

Dr.Saiyan
10-31-2011, 11:05 AM
thanks SparkleMidori, really very good piece of information as most of us are very confused about the way of applying makeup.And i would also like to add one small but very important information to this list i.e moisturizes which can be applied with suncreen which will help hydrate your skin and maintain its natural grow.

y34963
10-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Sunscreen should be used on its own and not mixed with a moisturizer or makeup. Depending on where you live you may not need a moisturizer if using a good quality sunscreen but use them separate if you need both.