PDA

View Full Version : How does tanning bed help psoriasis

Scarred
04-14-2009, 02:36 AM
I heard that going to tannning help psoriasis. Is it true ? just wondering if anyone knew how this helps.

Dr.Deepak
04-14-2009, 02:57 AM
Tanning beds are not firstline treatment of psoriasis. Its only the last options that might be used if patients do not have access to UVB and PUVA, and natural sunlight.Most beneficial effects for psoriasis is exposure to UVB and Psoralen plus UVA light therapy and most tanning beds in commercial salons emit UVA light only, not UVB.

It is discouraged to use these tanning beds and sun lamps with out a dermatologist consultation, because the UV radiation from these devices can damage the skin, cause premature aging and increase the risk of skin cancer. A research study in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute found that sunburns and tanning-lamp use during the adolescent and early adult years significantly increase an individual's susceptibility to skin cancer. So be sure to take precautions before using these devices. Consult your dermatologist about precautions you should take.

vencasand
04-14-2009, 02:22 PM
i have psoriasis on my legs and i just sit in the sun for like 5 minutes but even though it helps it doesn't cure. of course it is early spring and i just started a few weeks ago. i also use a steroid cream. i apply it before i am totally dry after showering. i can see some improvement on the worst areas.

beefire9
10-11-2009, 01:17 PM
There is Risk of skin cancer so i don't suggest you to use tanning beds.

y34963
10-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Tanning does not help everyone either. It sure didn't help me. It actually made them worse.

Tanning won't take them away and will just wreck you skin then you will end up with psoriasis and a horrible complexion!! Who needs another skin disorder.

skinex7
10-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Tanning beds helped my brother. (And just so you know, the sun (or tanning beds) does not cause cancer. If so, we'd all get skin cancer. You just obviously don't want to be burning your skin in the sun a lot, which if is done continually, it will cause damage to the skin and it can be a pre-courser to cancer.

He saw good results for a couple weeks.

y34963
10-16-2009, 12:50 AM
The sun's rays damage your skin. This leads to early wrinkles, skin cancer and other skin problems.

Being in the sun often over time, even if you don't burn, can lead to skin cancer. A tan is the body's desperate attempt to protect itself from the sun's harmful rays.