PDA

View Full Version : Drinking water can be killer



wendycave
01-05-2009, 02:08 PM
I came across an article in newspaper that drinking too much of water can be harmful even can cause death.A girl died because her brain cells swelled due to drinking excessive water.
We keep reading that drinking water is good for body and it helps remove oxidants from body but excess of anything is bad, So my advice not to exceed 1-2 liters daily limit for drinking water.

mimico
01-06-2009, 06:09 AM
Yes, I heard a bout a similar incident involving an athlete that drank too much water in one sitting. Moderation is the key even with water.

boron
01-06-2009, 08:11 AM
The above situation is called water intoxication. It usually needs an enormous amount of water (10-20 liters) to occur. A healthy person would not be harmed with 1, 2 or up to 5 liters of water drank in a day. So, if you had actually lost 5 liters of fluid, like inreally hot weather, or during heavy exercise, you have to replace it, but you should use special rehydration drinks rather than water, or drink water and eat so you replace lost salt also.

Some people think drinking a lot is healthy. You need to drink so much fluid as you need it. Not being thirsty, and regular urination (like 200 ml twice a day) are signs that you're well hydrated. Thirst alone is not reliable symptom of dehydration though.

Djmarie21
01-06-2009, 10:58 PM
I have heard of this also. Another problem with it is that you urinate out all of your electrolytes. I think moderation in anything is a good idea. Right now, water intake is essential for me, as I am nursing and I am pregnant!

Ashma
01-10-2009, 03:58 AM
drinking anything in excess amount could be a poison, this is true..

Solidone
01-16-2009, 07:53 PM
That's a really scary thought if I you think about it, but you could never be so thirsty to want to drink that much water, so there's really nothing to worry about.
The similar event that I heard of a person dying due to drinking to much water was a mother. That's right, a mother who was on a game show competing to win a Wii for her son. The competition was about who could drink the largest amount of water. Sadly, she won.

icebreaker
04-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Drinking 8 glasses of water is beneficial to our body if we do it within one day. But if this is done in just one sitting, it causes bad effects in our body already.

brybry
04-08-2009, 05:57 PM
It also causes a dilution of the electrolytes in your body.. one of the main ones is hyponatraemia which is when Sodium is diluted to a point where is becomes to thin to possibly be used.. It causes water retention & eventually, if untreated, causes cardiac problems, brain damage or even death as stated above.

Not good.

Valence
05-18-2009, 11:01 PM
NEVER drink too much!
NEVER eat too much!

you can SLEEP as much as you want thou :p

chinee
07-21-2009, 06:59 AM
Just always remember that anything that is too much is really bad. 8 glasses of water is highly recommended. Too much intake of water is not good because the kidney will not be able to work fast to get rid sufficient amounts from the body.

jstevenson
07-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Drinking water has to be done in moderation, but keep in mind that most people in modern societies are actually dehydrated.

lilypotter
08-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Drinking too much of water is bad ie., as said before in the range of 10-20 liters, it is like drowning in water. However you will not be able to drink so much of water unless you intend. I would suggest follow your thirst. Our body knows how to signal when it needs water. so drink water when you feel thirsty.

Dennis
08-03-2009, 02:51 PM
Everything can kill you when you`re using in large quantities. It`s true..

Fatima
11-11-2009, 05:57 AM
That's a really scary thought if I you think about it, but you could never be so thirsty to want to drink that much water, so there's really nothing to worry about.
The similar event that I heard of a person dying due to drinking to much water was a mother. That's right, a mother who was on a game show competing to win a Wii for her son. The competition was about who could drink the largest amount of water. Sadly, she won.

Oh my. That's so sad.

gblack
11-23-2009, 02:12 AM
That is really crazy. I guess like posted above, you must consuming any substance in moderation.

lifeforliving
01-07-2010, 09:33 AM
The fact is that anything and everything should be in moderation, including water (and it's kinda scary because other than Guinness it's all I drink ;))

livewire
01-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Anything over the limit is = harmful. We cannot live without water,but drinking loads of water will definitely cause problems.

icebreaker
02-03-2010, 10:17 AM
When I'm thirsty especially during summer season, I can finish drinking 1-Liter of alkaline water with some minerals added in it in just 10 minutes. :p

marilynnsyrett
02-08-2010, 07:00 AM
These seem to be extreme cases. But yeah.. everythin done beyond moderation is bad. Therefore, ideally one should drink about 8-10 glasses of water in a day. Also, even though it has potential benefits for the body, there are no great benefits for the skin as such.

green123
05-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Rare cases occasionally occurs but drinking water in moderate quantity is very healthy at least 4 liters per day during hot climates. Remember water is life.

stevesmith
02-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Yes ..
Water is good for health, but it should drink in limit .....
Thanks ..

chinee
02-13-2011, 11:13 AM
I agree but not to the limit perse, Its the other way around I think you should drink water if you are thirsty and not more than that.

ankitadas
02-15-2011, 05:46 AM
Hi all,
I am new to this discussion. Well never heard about this. But I think drinking a limit of water a day is very fruitful.

y34963
02-15-2011, 01:09 PM
A person has to drink a tremendous amount of water for it to be harmful.

Fruit juice is just as good for you as water is for dehydration. One of the important things to do though is to drink water or juice before you are thirsty. Once you are thirsty you are already dehydrated which causes problems in your body.

A lot of people just sip on their water or juice all day long. So by the end of the day they are still hydrated. Coffee, tea and alcohol will dehydrate you so it is essental to drink a glass of water or juice for every coffee, tea or alcohol beverage you drink.

sampath
07-29-2011, 06:00 AM
Drinking too much of water is bad for health, but it is very important that you drink about 2-3 litres everyday, not lesser not more.

agathatefora
08-03-2011, 09:06 PM
This is the first time I heard of it. Is this true?

sara145wilson
09-13-2011, 01:56 PM
I came across an article in newspaper that drinking too much of water can be harmful even can cause death.A girl died because her brain cells swelled due to drinking excessive water.
We keep reading that drinking water is good for body and it helps remove oxidants from body but excess of anything is bad, So my advice not to exceed 1-2 liters daily limit for drinking water.

Yes, I also agree this that we should drink limited water but it should not be less also as this may cause problem also so drink proportionate water which suits you.:omg:

Serena
09-13-2011, 04:07 PM
It is important to drink sufficient water regularly, however nothing is good in excess. The total liquid consumption should be at least 1.5 litres which includes soups, juices and food.

sonali
09-27-2011, 02:53 PM
I have heard that the more you drink water, the better it is for you. But drinking it in excess could be harmful, deathly in fact.

daisygrace
11-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Drinking water is helpful for body ,but not in excess .
As doctor says 8-10 glass of water is sufficient for a day .
Always anything in excess has a bad effect & not useful for a body.