PDA

View Full Version : What are the Causes for skin Cancer???

beauty
10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
What are the Causes factors for Skin Cancer???

1. Tobacco
2. Genetics
3. Environmental Factors
4. Unsafe sex
5. Sun Exposure

Hey guys add some more if you know more causes for Skin Cancer.

nlp18
10-22-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi,
Can you explain me, how an unsafe sex could cause skin cancer. Really hard to link with unsafe sex and skin cancer. Could you clearly explain how is this possible and what are the factors to be considered for safe sex to prevent skin cancer, it would help myself and others a lot.

Regards,
nlp18

Varun
11-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Ultraviolet (UV) light exposure, most commonly from sunlight, is overwhelmingly the most frequent cause of skin cancer.

Other important causes of skin cancer include the following:

Use of tanning booths

Immunosuppression—impairment of the immune system, which protects the body from foreign entities, such as germs or substances that cause an allergic reaction. This may occur as a consequence of some diseases or can be due to medications prescribed to combat autoimmune diseases or prevent organ transplant rejection.

Exposure to unusually high levels of x-rays

Contact with certain chemicals—arsenic (miners, sheep shearers, and farmers), hydrocarbons in tar, oils, and soot (may cause squamous cell carcinoma)

People who had at least one severe sunburn early in life have a greater risk of developing skin cancer.

Treatment for basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma is straightforward. Usually, surgical removal of the lesion is adequate.

Malignant melanoma, however, may require several treatment methods, including surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotheraphy.

khassa
11-26-2008, 05:47 PM
how genetics causes skin cancer??i would like to ask this question from the users.....

Solidone
01-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Unsafe sex? I didn't know sex had anything to do with skin cancer. Sure, I'm might have heard that some form of sex can cause cancer, but not skin cancer. Can I ask where you heard this from? Genetics maybe. Good thing my family has no record of any kind of cancer. I'm a lucky guy in that department.

akshaykalia
03-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun is the main cause of skin cancer. Energy from the sun actually is a form of radiation. It consists of visible light and other rays that people can't see. Invisible infrared radiation, for instance, makes sunlight feel hot. UV also is invisible, and causes sunburn and sun tan.

UV rays damage DNA, the genetic material that makes up genes. Genes control the growth and overall health of skin cells. If the genetic damage is severe, a normal skin cell may begin to grow in the uncontrolled, disorderly way of cancer cells. UV also can cause sunburn, and other damage that makes the skin look prematurely old and wrinkled.

Two kinds of rays exist in ultraviolet radiation invisible rays in sunlight that cause suntan, sunburn, premature skin aging, and most cases of skin cancer. :

* Ultraviolet A (UVA)

* Ultraviolet B (UVB)

Scientists once thought that excessive exposure to UVB rays was the main cause of skin cancer. Now they think that UVA also is involved. That's why it is important to use a sunscreen product that protects against both UVA and UVB rays.

Some cases of skin cancer, however, may be hereditary and run in families. In those cases, skin cancer is caused by abnormal genes that children inherit from their parents. Genes make parents and children look somewhat alike. They also make them likely to get some of the same diseases.

webrash
06-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Melanomas-A type of Skin Cancer is mainly occur on HEAD,ARMS,FACES,etc. Because it is due to the maximum exposure to sun light! UV rays present in sun rays causes this effect!first it forms as black circles then it leads change of entire skin colour!

Dennis
07-05-2009, 08:38 PM
For skin cancer, the biggest cause is sunlight, tobacco and radioactive place where you are working. One girl, 23 years old, got cancer and died 7 months later because she worked in company where, air has some poisons and she got skin cancer and died. Really sad story...

boron
07-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Heavy sunburn gotten at any time in life is a strong risk factor for a melanoma. Melanoma actually often appears on the trunk and legs that are rarely exposed to the sun but when they are they may easily be burned...

Skin cancer causes and risk factors (http://www.healthhype.com/skin-cancer-causes-and-risk-factors.html)

AGELESSONE
07-23-2009, 05:59 AM
how genetics causes skin cancer??i would like to ask this question from the users.....

It's not different than other cancers that can run in families.

boron
07-23-2009, 07:22 AM

If anyone from your close relatives has/had a skin cancer you are at incrised risk to have it.

melanotanII
10-23-2009, 02:26 AM
How can unsafe sex cause skin cancer? Duh?! Any connection? maybe cervical cancer or any cancer involving female sex organ.
The most common cause of skin cancer is too much exposure to harmful UV rays from the sun. Genetics? I guess, when your family history has records of having less melanin than normal.

vencasand
10-23-2009, 12:46 PM
unsafe sex can cause viruses to spread from one to another. human papillomavirus causes worts on hands and it is also a cause of cervical cancer. it infects the epidermis. so stretching unsafe sex i guess it could cause cancer. now as for genetics, if one of your parents had cancer or one of your grandparents had some kind of cancer you would just watch out for any symptoms of that particular cancer. my friend at work got the worst kind of breast cancer, the one that grows laterlly in the muscle. she had to have a double mastectomy. her dad died from cancer also but back so many years ago they didn't know what kind. thanks to all the cancer research around the world most cancers can be cured or put into remission until a cure is found. hope i answered your questions.

melanotanII
10-26-2009, 02:32 AM
Thank you for the informations. I agree to your statements about unsafe sex can cause cancer in the internal organ, but I am confused 'bout how can unsafe sex cause SKIN cancer? Maybe I'll try to researh more about that matter. Thanks again..:h8:

Sabina
11-20-2009, 06:21 PM
This could be due to HPV infection leading to cervical cancer if i'm not wrong. Not sure about skin cancer though.

phool6
11-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Does using bleach cremes on face result in skin cancer too. I saw a dermatologist on tv the other day who said it does.

stevesmith
02-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi,
Here are some more factor that causes skin cancer:

1. Fair skin.
2. A history of sunburns
3. Excessive sun exposure.
4. Sunny or high-altitude climates.
5. Moles
6. Precancerous skin lesions.
7. A family history of skin cancer.
8. A weakened immune system.
9. Exposure to certain substances.
10. Increasing age.

AdinaP
03-11-2011, 08:25 AM
1. Fair skin.
2. A history of sunburns
3. Excessive sun exposure.
4. Sunny or high-altitude climates.
5. Moles
6. Precancerous skin lesions.
7. A family history of skin cancer.
8. A weakened immune system.
9. Exposure to certain substances.
10. Increasing age.

And a few words about prevention of skin cancer :
The best way to prevent skin cancer is to avoid too much time in the sun. You don't have to be sunbathing to get burned. You can get too much sun while walking to the shops, driving a car with the windows down, even under light cloud cover. Time of day and location are important too. The intensity of UV radiation increases during the middle of the day, between April to September, nearer the equator and at higher altitudes.

How to protect yourself and your children:

* Stick to the shade between 11am and 3pm
* Cover up with clothes, a wide brimmed hat and sunglasses
* Apply a high-factor sunscreen (minimum SPF15 and three stars) regularly
* Drink plenty of water to avoid overheating
* Avoid using sun lamps or sunbeds
Source: bbc.co.uk/health/physical_health/conditions/in_depth/cancer/skincancer1.shtml

proraghu
03-11-2011, 10:58 AM
We are not sure about the causes, it may be right or wrong I hope professional medical practitioners are the best to guide on this.

However I do have interesting link here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_neoplasm#Causes which gives more details about the causes.

Horace33
04-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Over-exposure to UV radiation from the sun damages the skin, causing it to change color, burn or even blister.
Every time you expose your skin to the sun you add to your ‘lifetime exposure’ and increase your skin cancer risk. The number of severe sunburns you have received, especially during childhood, also increases your risk.

crystal143
09-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Skin cancer is the most common of all human cancers. It has following cause to grow this fatal disease. Tumors of the skin are often referred to as lesions. Never wear perfume, creams or deodorant under a sun bed. They can cause allergic reactions.

Peterson12
10-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Skin Cancer Causes

Ultraviolet (UV) light exposure, most commonly from sunlight, is overwhelmingly the most frequent cause of skin cancer.

Other important causes of skin cancer include the following:

* Use of tanning booths

* Immunosuppression—impairment of the immune system, which protects the body from foreign entities, such as germs or substances that cause an allergic reaction. This may occur as a consequence of some diseases or can be due to medications prescribed to combat autoimmune diseases or prevent organ transplant rejection.

* Exposure to unusually high levels of x-rays

* Contact with certain chemicals—arsenic (miners, sheep shearers, and farmers), hydrocarbons in tar, oils, and soot (may cause squamous cell carcinoma)
Regarding your mother's comment, people who had at least one severe sunburn early in life have a greater risk of developing skin cancer. Mom is right!
Treatment for basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma is straightforward. Usually, surgical removal of the lesion is adequate. Malignant melanoma, however, may require several treatment methods, including surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.

JCrooks
10-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Skin cancer could cause in result of smoking, direct and consistent contact of sun rays, environmental factors, use of ordinary makeups in abundance. A Person need to prevent all these things in order to abstain from skin cancer.

rosalyhudson
11-29-2012, 04:52 AM
I think most exposure to sunlight(Ultra Violet Rays) is the main cause of Skin cancer and so as the Genes.