PDA

View Full Version : Why are my legs like this?

frankiethompson
03-17-2012, 01:52 PM
Picture of legs:
tinypic.com/r/m0ci1/5

I have 16, almost 17 years old. However, there is little to no hair on my legs. In fact, it looks like I've shaved them and there are these dots that are reddish-brownish on the back of my legs. I have some hair on the front of my legs but for some reason, the back of my legs look like the picture above. Is there a reason for this? I am already far into puberty and that isn't the issue. Could it be dry skin leading to ingrown hairs or something? My legs are extremely dry and recently I've been applying lotion but it doesn't seem to help. I would appreciate any help.

Dr.Saiyan
03-17-2012, 04:31 PM
hi !
I wanna know how long you have been having this condition? is it recently or since childhood ? Is it itchy?is it very dry ? Do you have this type of lesions on other parts of body as well? do your condition gets better with summer? do other members in your family also have this problem?do you have other associated problems?

just form the picture you have sent it seems like common hereditary condition called "Ichthyosis vulgaris" to me. it is common in family members and starts since the childhood.usually the condition is mild and asymptomatic but some people may also complains of mild itch.it is usually found in legs and worst in winter and improves with summer season. the condition is due to reduced or absent of filaggrin .

I guess there is no permanent solution to this condition as its the defect in the gene that causes it. but if the condition is severe we can use symptomatic measures like hydration of skin followed by applicant of lubricant to retain the moisture and keratolytic agent can also used sometimes to remove the scales if its very thick. Drinking lots of water helps ;covering legs and other parts of body in summer helps to reduce dryness and application of sunscreen while out is also very helpful .

frankiethompson
03-17-2012, 05:03 PM
No one else in my family has this issue. I don't think its ichtyosis vulgaris though because it isn't rough really at all. It's pretty smooth actually although it is slightly bumpy in some areas. Barely, however. It isn't itchy. I think it's gotten worse as I've aged because I always take really hot showers and not apply any lotion whatsoever. I don't have this anywhere else on my body.

Dr.Deepak
03-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Yup as saiyan suggested it looks like ichthyosis vulgaris associated with keratosis pilaris. You didn't mentioned when did it started, was it during birth or during childhood or recently acquired. if its recently seen than it could suggest skin manifestation of systemic disease like drugs, malignancies, hiv, endocrine and metabolic disorders, and other autoimmune diseases.

How old were you when it started..? are they on both legs ? How are your palm and soles.. ? are they dry too with excess creases ? Don't use hot shower, bath with cold or luke warm water and its better to apply creams and ointments rather than lotions. Consult your dermatologist personally so he/she could diagnose it correctly and prescribe accordingly and if required suggest genetic consultation.

frankiethompson
03-18-2012, 07:12 PM
They are on both legs.

They aren't as bumpy as some of the pictures I have seen though. Mainly they are just red follicles with bumps. How can I get rid of them? They are so gross :(