PDA

View Full Version : wanna get rid of this habit

sairen
11-26-2011, 04:51 AM
hi frens!lets see u have guts enough to come up with the bad habit they have.let me start with mine,i have this really really bad habit of biting skin of my mouth whenever i work,do something,think etc etc involuntarily. i m really fed up of this bad habit of mine and i always end up with ulcer in my mouth which is very painful.i really really wanna get rid of this awful habit but it works till the time i voluntary inhibit myself but than immidiately as i forget about it:mad: i start it again.
I have this very feeling of failure and depression every time i have this painful ulcer in my mouth.Do anyone have solution to my problem,i would very very glad to receive some suggestions and opinion on it.:(

vencasand
11-26-2011, 01:09 PM
i have a lot of similar habits. habits are very hard to break. maybe if you let a piece of hard candy melt in your mouth. chew gum. maybe put a numbing gel on your cheek. candy would be bad for your teeth. try breath fresheners. if you can go long enough to heal your cheek completely you really can break this habit. just think every time you catch yourself doing this it will turn into a painful sore.

pepsimax
11-26-2011, 01:27 PM
Wouldn't a numbing gel add to the problem? Surly its better if they can feel the biting and then stop.
As for feelings of failure and depression. This is something you should speak to a close friend or a GP about. There is probably an underlying problem causing this.

sairen
11-27-2011, 04:24 AM
thanks brenda and nikki ,yes i tried the stuffs like chewing gum and hard candy earlier but those stuffs didnt worked out for me.but i havent tried numbing gel are u sure it doesnt have any side effects coz they are type of local anaesthesia used by dentist.i m scared if i cant feel anything than i would continue biting and end up in bigger ulcers.

every time i catch myself i stop but the thing is i happen to do it subconsciously.i m sure GP cant have solution to my problem,may be i should continue exploring it myself.

pepsimax
11-27-2011, 07:13 AM
thanks brenda and nikki ,yes i tried the stuffs like chewing gum and hard candy earlier but those stuffs didnt worked out for me.but i havent tried numbing gel are u sure it doesnt have any side effects coz they are type of local anaesthesia used by dentist.i m scared if i cant feel anything than i would continue biting and end up in bigger ulcers.

every time i catch myself i stop but the thing is i happen to do it subconsciously.i m sure GP cant have solution to my problem,may be i should continue exploring it myself.

Brenda will be the best person to answer your first point.

You said in your first post you suffer with the feeling of failure and depression. This is something you should address. Changing your diet, exercise, sunshine, etc will all help with depression but if there is an underlying problem this should be dealt with otherwise your depression could get worse.
I suggest, if you have a close friend or family member, you talk to them or I would suggest seeing a professional. I don't know where you are from so I don't know the procedure in your country.
The cause of your biting could be due to the depression so if you got help for that, you may generally relax more, and the biting could stop.
Stay in touch, we are always here to help people where we can.

vencasand
11-27-2011, 01:25 PM
i said the numbing gel because your skin would feel different. if it feels different you might be aware of biting your skin. habits are really hard to break but you can if you really want to do it. only habit i am stuck with now is clenching my teeth at night. a mouth guard helps me. if i remember to use it. is it possible for you to use a mouth guard at work. when i am under stress, i am under a lot of stress, that is when my habits start. maybe if you can do some yoga or some relaxation excercises it would help. i used to be a nail biter, a cheek biter, a cheek sucker, like i would suck my cheek in between my teeth so hard my dentist told me i pulled a lymph gland out of place!! well i conquered all of them except the clenching of teeth at night. the nail biting i stopped when i was in cosmetology school. we had weekly or bi weekly manicures and i stopped biting then. i don't remember how i stopped the sucking of my cheek. i guess the dentist just scared the heck out of me. keep trying everything you can. when you finally do overcome this you will feel a lot better. on your question of if they are side effects from the numbing gel is that you have to be careful not to drink really hot soups or liquids. but if you only use it on the side you bite it won't be bad. i think if you become aware of the different feeling it might break the chain of biting.

Elsa Tobin
12-05-2011, 05:59 AM
i remember i have a high school classmate who has the same habit with you ,she will bite skin of her mouth when she is thinking . the result is leaving some scare on her month , so ss how bad result it is . make up your mind , get rid of it

sairen
12-06-2011, 06:18 AM
i said the numbing gel because your skin would feel different. if it feels different you might be aware of biting your skin. habits are really hard to break but you can if you really want to do it. only habit i am stuck with now is clenching my teeth at night. a mouth guard helps me. if i remember to use it. is it possible for you to use a mouth guard at work. when i am under stress, i am under a lot of stress, that is when my habits start. maybe if you can do some yoga or some relaxation excercises it would help. i used to be a nail biter, a cheek biter, a cheek sucker, like i would suck my cheek in between my teeth so hard my dentist told me i pulled a lymph gland out of place!! well i conquered all of them except the clenching of teeth at night. the nail biting i stopped when i was in cosmetology school. we had weekly or bi weekly manicures and i stopped biting then. i don't remember how i stopped the sucking of my cheek. i guess the dentist just scared the heck out of me. keep trying everything you can. when you finally do overcome this you will feel a lot better. on your question of if they are side effects from the numbing gel is that you have to be careful not to drink really hot soups or liquids. but if you only use it on the side you bite it won't be bad. i think if you become aware of the different feeling it might break the chain of biting.

perhaps brenda a mouth guard seems a good idea,may be i should also try using that .lets see if it works than its really wonderful.i did had habit of biting nails earlier but i dont remember when and how i stopped doing.if i can remember a teacher in my high school caught me in class biting my nails and criticized me in front of whole class probably after than i seem to stopped biting nails.that moment was really embarrassing. i just hope if something like that incident reoccur in my life for quiting this habit i m really ready for that too.

y34963
12-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Depression is not something that should be taken lightly. Please seek medical help immediately for it.

A lot of people think depression is just sadness but that is so wrong. If you suffer from depression it is not something that will go away on its own.

Please keep us posted on how you are feeling.