PDA

View Full Version : Itching all over my body for 3 months.

Shin
10-10-2011, 04:48 PM
Hello,

Since a week or 10 i am suffering from itching skin ALL over my body, it started out when a friend of mine came to sleep over for two weeks. He had been suffering from itchy skin as well he told me. (not as bad as mine at the moment)

So after a week or so i noticed my skin started to itch randomly on random places. This stayed for over 3 weeks until i decided to ask him, he went to a skin doctor who could not find anything by him, he let himself be tested on skin deceases and conditions (he also had a case of psoriasis) At the moment he doesn't have itching problems.

Anyways my itching didn't pass and i went to the doctor here myself who checked my skin out and told me i wasn't suffering from any skin decease or condition because there were no signs (besides my own scratch marks) to be seen of any rash or condition. She explained me that if it would be a condition i would have symptoms before or alongside with the itching.

She gave me menthol creme. That creme didn't work out much and after two weeks it only got slowly worse and i went back.
Then she gave me hydroxyzine pills wich DO work but make me lazy and sleepy as hell throughout the day. Also when i stop the pills the itching comes back.

Mostly on the day i have little itchings but it gets worse in the evenings (before i go to bed) and it gets worse by the day and the most itching is on my head, upper legs, pube area, penis/foreskin (wich is incredibly annoying!!) shins, elbows, butt and hands. It itches so bad i just scratch and scratch allot, i even cut my nails so short i can only scratch myself for the minimum. But due to all the scratching i get allot of rashes and stains and marks on my body, on the upper legs and on the penis now as well. My foreskin itches so bad sometimes i just wanna cry!!

Still besides my scratch marks/stains i have no visible symptoms. But after 10 weeks Im going crazy, what could this be? What can i do??

Thanks ALLOT in advance!

Dr.Deepak
10-10-2011, 06:33 PM
This could just be skin infestation by lice or scabies. scabies usually is accompanied by bumps on penis and severe itching during night. Do u have any bumps on penis..? Sometimes internal disease like liver disease,kidney disease, diabetes, thyroids disorders and blood disorders are also associated with itching without any visible signs. As you said it started right after your friend visit it probably might be lice or scabies. But for any itching without any visible rash detail systemic examination should be done to exclude internal disease. please take a second opinion from the doctor if itching is severe without any rash. if everything comes out normal than taking antihistamines ( anti-itch medications) and slowly decreasing over 3-4 months might help.

Shin
10-10-2011, 06:59 PM
I do have 3 bumps now since 4 days, wich i actually reckon are due to the scratching. I told the doctor i suspected scabies but she ensured me i didnt because i didnt have the visible symptons and i read that there should be visible symptons of scabies after about 2-6 weeks and its been 3 months, im chexking my skin but cant find a thing, i also have a bedpartner who doesnt seem to have anything nor does my mother or brother.

One thing though, my dog itches just as much as i but i dont see a connection as i asked the vet if there could be something contagious between dogs and humans and she said no. The dog also has been checked multiple times thouroughly.

Also the sleepover guy was tested for scabies and was negative
Still i myself dont rule out scabies but i dont have the visible symptons...

I also didnt change shampoo or washing products for clothes or bed, notjing has changed but i defenitly know i got something :-/

Shin
10-12-2011, 09:46 AM
Ive submitted a bloodtest at the hospital yesterday, ill get the result in 3 days (friday i hope) And tomorrow i have an appointment with the dermatologist.

But today, i have discovered flea infection by my dogs (both of them) quite severe. Could this be any connection to my own itching? I have read that flea's cannot survive on humans (flea's from dogs) and I've been checking my body thoroughly now but I'm not sure if that is possible.

Any idea about that?

Thank you

vencasand
10-12-2011, 01:58 PM
ah, fleas, yes they can bite you then jump back on your dog. fleas can make you itch really bad. after you get rid of the fleas from your dogs, spray their beds with safe disinfectant. if you treat them with ingested flea killer the fleas that bite them die. bathe them well and safely. the topical flea killer we have here in the usa is really good. i don't know what is available in the netherlands.

Dr.Deepak
10-13-2011, 05:30 PM
yea dog fleas might also be another cause of itching, other possible cause may be just dry skin, it might also be due to allergy to some foods u are taking or any medications. But as suggested above chronic itch without any visible rash might also be due to several internal disease. I guess u visited doctor today, let us know what he/she thinks.

Dr.Saiyan
10-13-2011, 05:40 PM
By the way how old are u?merely dry skin can also cause itching problems, so try to maintain proper hydration of your skin by drinking lots of water.As u already to seem to rule out the possibility of scabies, i would also like to draw your attention for the possibility of internal diseases like diabetes,gastritis due to H.pylori and prostrate disorders in men along with liver,kidney and thyroid disorders.Dog mite can also cause itching of human skin but clear papular urticarial rashes are visible in that case.

Shin
10-13-2011, 05:56 PM
By the way how old are u?merely dry skin can also cause itching problems, so try to maintain proper hydration of your skin by drinking lots of water.As u already to seem to rule out the possibility of scabies, i would also like to draw your attention for the possibility of internal diseases like diabetes,gastritis due to H.pylori and prostrate disorders in men along with liver,kidney and thyroid disorders.Dog mite can also cause itching of human skin but clear papular urticarial rashes are visible in that case.

I am male, 23 years old, I tend to drink allot of water whenever i can. But i don't rule out the possibility of internal deseases...

I went to see the dermatologist today, she said all the symptoms of scabies (the places i had itching, wrists, pube area, hands, fingers etc, but no dark spots or real tunnels) so she took some skin samples BUT could not find ANYTHING of scabies.

She went to get her supervisor, who also took more skin samples and checked them under the microscope. She also could not find anything, she checked for like 10 minutes with different scopes and could not find any trace of scabies on either of my skin samples.

Still she prescribed me with pills against scabies, wich are freaking expensive. Furthermore i find it more then odd that when 2 dermatologists find NO actual trace of scabies at a patient with itching and scabies LIKE (could also be exceem or other disorders, wich they didn't rule out) symptoms over 10 weeks (i know that scabies show around 2-4-6 weeks)to be prescribed with pills against scabies. She said we should try to rule out the possibility, but then i have to get pills for my mother, brother and bed partner who doesn't have ANY kind of symptoms and we are going already since 8 weeks together and he has no symptoms whatsoever.

I don't believe it's scabies or else they would have found a trace, but i think its not really good to still prescribe pills for it rather then checking for other possibilities, wich she realized there could be but 1st wanted to try scabies pills.

Tomorrow i will get the result of the bloodtest. And i will ask for a 2nd opinion at another dermatologist.

Maybe i can post a picture here if that would make anyone here get a clue about what I'm dealing with.

Thanks for answering again

vencasand
10-14-2011, 01:08 PM
i am at a loss for the "pills for scabies" i have worked at a pharmacy for 35 years and i never have heard of pills for scabies. there are antihistamines for itching but none that i know of for scabies. now she is treating the whole family without a reason? please get the results from the blood tests. good luck, sending blessings.

Shin
10-14-2011, 02:03 PM
The pills are called "Ivermectine" and seem to be quite new, only thing is they aren't ensured and cost allot.

I went to my doctor today and expained the situation, she found it weird that the dermatologist prescribed me with medication for scabies withouth actual scabies being diagnosed and merely based on my symptoms.

She would call the dermatologist and let me know, for now I'm awaiting a 2nd opinion from another dermatologist next week. My doctor advised me to wait for that and don't start treatment yet.

Nobody that is close around me has any symptoms and I'm itching for 10 weeks now, had it been scabies wouldn't it have been visible by now? Especially under a scope or by anyone close to me?

Btw the bloodresults shown no abnormalities, I'm perfectly healthy, so I'm kinda curious to see what else it might be then...

Could it be stress? *itching is quite severe at times*

Thanks for the blessings

Shin
10-14-2011, 03:54 PM
My doctor called me who has called the dermatologist, the dermatologist still advised to take the "Loxazol" creme, despite scabies not being there, there was still a high possibility according to her that i could have it, despite my partner, mother, brother having no symptoms.

Im still very skeptical about it as well, but i'll use the creme then, it should be done after one time, right? Anyone having experience?

P.S. can it still be stress, cuz I've been in an emotional rollercoaster as well since those 10 weeks, feeling allot depressed in the past 6/7 weeks...

Dr.Saiyan
10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
If all your blood tests results are normal,i should say its good thing.Some people have special body type,they response abnormally to the ordinary things which normally other people do not response.Their are list of these things probably u could also go for patch test for determining these things.Some people are allergic to alcohal,sea food,dust mite even hot spicy food.I would also like to suggest u not eat food like fish,eggs and foods which are easy to cause allergy for sometime including alcohal. U can also go for urea breath test used to identify infections by Helicobacter pylori in gastritis which can also cause pruriitus .Also try to review drugs taken within three week which be cause of your present condition.

Shin
10-14-2011, 06:00 PM
yeah the thing is, i am just wondering what on earth it could be, since i didn't change diet or food, washing products or anything, i did have a full body scrub with household products, sort of speaking, from a friend, wich was also around the day it started...

If this scabies creme doesn't work i will go for a general allergic test. As for food i don't drink alcohol, don't eat fish and almost no eggs so

Basicly i eat beef, pork and vegetables, bread, cheese etc.

vencasand
10-15-2011, 12:52 PM
stress is a factor but you started itching before it became stressful. i hope you find out what is causing this. itching can be so frustrating. you can take oatmeal baths, and apply soothing lotions. most of them just have menthol in them but it helps a little while. don't use hot water to shower. i hope you feel better soon. don't let this get you down.

Shin
10-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks so much for reacting, everyone !!

Well just read that frequent showering and hot showering might even make it worse, my itching got worse in the past 1 week and a half, and i can remember myself even showering 2x's a day since that time, so I'm quite definite it's a big cause of the more severe itching since the past days, i was sick and got it in my head that showering made me feel better, but i also tend to shower REALLY hot.

I read now that showering around 2/3x a week for a while will lessen itching allot, and showering not higher then about 37.c temperature.

I used the scabies creme, no difference as up yet, but ill give it a few days
Here are some pictures of how my skin looks today, according to my own doctor it are mere effects of scratching *i started scratching before that turned up* and my dermatologist says it could be multiple things and also scabies, considering the places (but i also itch on my neck and head, just everywhere)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/MightyChan/foto-3.jpg
My hand

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/MightyChan/foto-4.jpg
My leg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/MightyChan/foto-5.jpg
My other leg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/MightyChan/foto-7.jpg
My wrist

And there are also 3 bumps on the penis, but that can be also due to the scratching maybe?

pepsimax
10-15-2011, 07:27 PM
I am not an expert but I think they may be fleas. Years ago I started work in a new office and within a couple of weeks I had a very itchy rash, similar to yours, around the tops of my legs, ankles and wrists. No one around me had this and I was at a loss as to what it was. One day I actually saw a flea jump and realised the chair I was using, which was very old, was infested.
As thankfully nothing serious has shown up so far why don't you try treating this. You will need to get your dogs treated as well as treating the house. It will be a long process which you have to keep up to ensure any eggs do not develop. Calamine lotion and antihistamines will help you and your vet can help you with treating your dog. The home can be treated with insecticide (make sure it is dog friendly) and frequent vacuuming, but the vacuum bag must be disposed of immediately afterwards.
You can find more info online.

Shin
10-18-2011, 02:00 PM
I'm still suspecting that the fleas indeed might be a possibility.
I have used the scabies creme, the itching is a bit less but that also might be due to the fact i shower way less then i used to, and less hot, i also put body lotion on my body on the evenings wich lessen the itching, so i think the scabies creme didn't help much.

If id be scabies allot of people around me would definitely be infected by now, since i have it for 11 weeks. Im still itching, especially my legs.

Tomorrow i'm seeing another dermatologist for a 2nd opinion on the matter, still can't figure what it is I'm almost desperate.

As for the stress, the itching started around that period, but it was actually something really exciting that turned out into something stressfull along the way, a friend of mine was certain it was this.

I might ask for an allergy test tomorrow at the dermatologist, dunno if that would do any good.

Thanks again for the answers and thinking along!

pepsimax
10-19-2011, 10:01 AM
Again I am not an expert but I know from experience that heat and stress can 'add' to existing skin/rash conditions. They may not be the cause but can cause the condition to worsen.
Calamine lotion would be used on things like chickenpox, eczema and sunburn to reduce the itching so maybe worth trying this.
I hope you get some results at your dermatologist appointment today.

vencasand
10-19-2011, 01:06 PM
shin, please let us know what the derm says. thanks

Shin
10-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Thank you both,

The dermatologist was sure it wasn't scabies, since i was also itching on the head he was definite about it.

Seeing that as a kid i was having eczema and i have asthma, he thought it was a case of eczema wich was coming back combined with stress wich keeps it going, he gave me creme against the eczema and was sure i would be itching allot less in about a week.

He also said the stress could definitely be adding the intensity and duration. Furthermore he thought that it was also a case of action reaction, i itch, i scratch and keep itching etc. He said i had to break the circle by using the eczema creme and body lotions. Also not to shower as much and try not to use shampoo.

I also asked him about the flea's and he was quite sure it weren't traces of fleas.
So now ill be using this creme and i hope it will get better. In a way it's still not a definitive diagnosis of what it is :-/

vencasand
10-20-2011, 12:34 PM
i sure hope the cream helps. please let us know of your progress. thanks

pepsimax
10-20-2011, 07:56 PM
I am glad you are finally being treated. This alone should lower your stress levels regarding the rash. I hope the cream helps. Let us know.

Shin
11-10-2012, 01:07 PM
I recieved a message from a member asking me how this ended so here's my story, though a bit late I know, but maybe it'll help someone else as well.

So I went to several doctors and all suspected scabies but no scabies had been found on any sample either doctor took from my skin, no eggs, no droppings, no scabies or anything. I was suffering from an extreme high stress level as I said before at that time but i still believed it wasnt this and also suspected scabies eventually, since i had all the traces and symptons, although no scabies were found, also the stress factor in my life got cut off BUT that was after i tried my last resort which were tablets/pills against scabies The pills are called "Ivermectine" which I was reluctant to take since it wasnt in my health insurance and they were kind of expensive... But I was desperate to pay anything to get rid of the itching. I took the pills and after a week or two the itching and the marks dissapeared as fast as they came.

If it were the pills it means it were indeed scabies but it can also be the high stress level i had which my body reacted to, since i also cut off that stress factor around the same time. I cant be 100% sure it was one or another, but i think the Ivermectine pills did the trick.

I didn't get any of the itching back ever since, but my mood went upward towards being happy as well since i got into a great relationship after i got rid of the itching.

So i suggest people who are in the same boat check out the pills but first consult a doctor about it ofcourse, they need to be prescribed and you need to think about the combination if you also you use other medicines.

Good luck!

Dr.Saiyan
11-10-2012, 01:47 PM
Hi Shin! great to see you back, we are extremely happy for you. Hope to see you around more frequently (not just for disease hahaha ....be healthy) and share all your experiences and problems of life with us.

gerardomateo
10-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Hi!!! I'd like to ask you how you got to solve this, just by taking that medicine? I've been experiencing just exactly the same thing as you. Do I need prescription to buy that medicine?

Shizakhan
10-26-2017, 05:44 AM
Add one cup baking soda to a tub of warm water. After the bath, it is important to gently pat your skin dry with a towel (or air-dry). For more localized itching you can make a paste of one part water to three parts baking soda. Lemon juice can be directly applied on itchy skin to relieve the irritation.

gerardomateo
10-27-2017, 01:23 PM
I'm desperate, I've been like this for two months already, don't know how to stop the itching. I'll do that, thank you.

Dr.Deepak
10-27-2017, 03:13 PM
I'm desperate, I've been like this for two months already, don't know how to stop the itching. I'll do that, thank you.
can u give details of your problem...? this post has already been 5 yrs old.. the actual member may be reply..