PDA

View Full Version : White Patches/Spots on Body

Whale
02-22-2011, 05:47 AM
I've had white patches covering my entire torso (front and back) and my upper thighs for the past 4-5 years. It became more and more abundant over time. It seems to be where my shirt and shorts would be over A.K.A places where I would sweat during exercise. The spots are white and are irregular circles. The white patches are so severe and abundant to the point where my skin color looks white with brown patches (I'm naturally caramel brown) It is rougher to the touch than it is where my skin is clear (my legs and arms do not have any white patches). Also, the white patches and spots are much more visible when I tan because they do not tan at all. Instead, the skin around the patches darken during tanning (my real skin) making the spots more visible. Any ideas on what this could be? I'm thinking it is Tinea Versicolor. I've tried showering with medicated Tinea Versicolor shampoo but I dont think it's getting better.

Here are some pics:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/WhalingWillow/P1080007.jpg

Higher Contrast pictures to make the patches more visible:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/WhalingWillow/P10800072-1.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/WhalingWillow/P10709802.jpg
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb362/WhalingWillow/P10709852.jpg

As you can see, my entire torso is covered with these white patches. You can see my natural brown skin in between. I am 19 and asian.

Thoughts?

vencasand
02-22-2011, 01:41 PM
my suggestion would be go to a dermatologist and find out what it actually is instead of guessing. if you have been using treatment for tinea versa and it isn't improving the treatment might not be strong enough or that isn't what you have. see a dermatologist. or a smart general practitioner.

Dr.Deepak
02-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Yup, at a glance it does look like tinea versicolor, but there are also other conditions to consider like lets say..Pityriasis alba, which does look similar to this. So if your anti fungal medications are not working, the best options will be to confirm the diagnosis first. If its a tinea versicolor, then just a shampoo may not be sufficient, topical anti-fulgal creams and oral prescription medications might be needed. By the way how you are applying your shampoo..and which shampoo...? Selsun or Nizoral...? For best result you can apply these shampoo for atleast 15-20 mins 3 times a week for atleast 3 weeks then every week for few months.

Its better to visit a dermatologist and get a suggestion personally.

Whale
02-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Yup, at a glance it does look like tinea versicolor, but there are also other conditions to consider like lets say..Pityriasis alba, which does look similar to this. So if your anti fungal medications are not working, the best options will be to confirm the diagnosis first. If its a tinea versicolor, then just a shampoo may not be sufficient, topical anti-fulgal creams and oral prescription medications might be needed. By the way how you are applying your shampoo..and which shampoo...? Selsun or Nizoral...? For best result you can apply these shampoo for atleast 15-20 mins 3 times a week for atleast 3 weeks then every week for few months.

Its better to visit a dermatologist and get a suggestion personally.

Thanks for your thoughts. I've used Selsun 2.5 percent. I've tried lathering it all over my body for a few days when I shower and I've also tried applying it as a lotion 30 minutes a day for about half a week. I didn't see any noticeable improvements so I just gave up. If it is Tinea Versicolor, I might have to follow your recommendation and take oral medication since it is so widespread to treat topically. I just hope it is not Vitiligo or some other untreatable skin disorder.

Edit: I did a quick google of "Pityriasis alba" and it does look quite similar to what I have. Hmm...

Dr.Deepak
02-23-2011, 03:47 AM
Oh.. its not Vitiligo and doesn't look like any other untreatable skin disorder either. But its wise to visit a dermatologist so he can see it directly and confirm it and prescribe you medications accordingly. Don't take any oral anti-fungal medications without prescription.

msnukim
04-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Hey, I am also Asian and have this condition..I am lighter skin than you, however the spots in your pictures are very similar to mine. :( I'm 22 and have had this since I moved to FL (which is very humid and humidity is a great place for fungus to grow). I've been to two separate dermatologists, and neither have been able to cure it. One prescribed me oral medications and creams, however it never went away. The other did a scrape of my skin to check it, and he told me the fungus was not alive and that my skin pigmentation should come back within a few months. Those visits were total fails...and as for my skin, it's only gotten worse. If you have had any results from ANYTHING, please help!

Dr.Deepak
04-28-2011, 03:23 PM
Hey Msnukim welcome to the forum. So what cream and oral medications u were prescribed. if its not working its time to change the medications. But remember, even if the disease is treated successfully, those white patches might take several weeks or months to resolve.

White Patches on the Skin (http://www.dermatalk.com/blogs/skin-disorders/white-patches-on-the-skin/)