PDA

View Full Version : Cellulitis

qwerty
04-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Hi I'm new to the forum and have developed quite severe Cellulitis in my ankle as the result of a deep wound. Yesterday the GP put me on a 7 day course of antibiotics to clear it up. I noticed yesterday in the bath that I have a red streak leading up nearly as far as my knee, although only very faint this morning I know that this is to do with the infection spreading to the lymph nodes. I am on immuno-suppressants so I'm having to be very careful anyway.

It is much less painful to walk on than it was, but I'm due back to work tomorrow where I work in retail and am on my feet for a few hours. Is this going to be ok? And also is it ok to put a bandage or tubigrip on the swelling or is it best to leave it completely uncovered?

Many thanks.

vencasand
04-21-2010, 01:20 PM
if you noticed a red streak going up your leg i would contact the doctor. in fact contact the doctor anyway to ask him if you should be on your leg for work. if you notice that that line is going further up your leg go to an emergency room. they will put you on antibiotics interveinously. cellulitis is not only painful if you don't get medical attention for it the infection can spread or increase causing blood poisoning.

qwerty
04-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Thank you for your reply. The red streak has in fact completely gone so I'm assuming the antibiotics are working now, the swelling has also gone down too. I'm keeping a close eye on it and checking it several times a day.

vencasand
04-22-2010, 12:56 PM
i am glad to hear you are getting better. sorry if i scared you but sometimes people don't worry about a problem until it is really bad. i just wanted to help.

qwerty
04-23-2010, 08:30 AM
Hey no problem at all - thank you for your reply :) Its nearly completely gone now thank goodness for antibiotics! If I hadn't already started the antibiotics I would have gone straight to the GP anyway. thank you x