PDA

View Full Version : GRUESOME rash, what could this be?

thrifty917
02-02-2010, 11:32 PM
This rash is on my 60 year old mother's leg. She has a number of health problems including arthritis, fibromyalgia, and psoriasis. However, she doesn't think that this is psoriasis because its much worse.

Her doctor referred her to a dermatologist but she is having trouble finding one that takes her insurance. Any ideas? Suggestions?

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp351/Thrifty917/seb5mo108.jpg

:sick:

vencasand
02-03-2010, 01:59 PM
looks like psoriasis to me. i have it on both my legs. use a moisturizing cream for extremely dry skin. at first i used palmers cocoa butter lotion. it helped a little. then i used all kinds of over the counter products for extremely dry skin. hydrocortisone 1% put on first and then after it is massaged into the skin try gold bond healing cream. apply as necessary. there is no true cure just try to keep the lesions moisturized. the best cream i used was rosehips and hibiscus scar cream from Make up artists choice. it costs $22 and is really good only i can't afford to get it all the time. if you see new lesions forming this cream can work to make them almost disappear. best of luck. i am 60 also.

y34963
02-03-2010, 09:46 PM
I think you mom should see a derm because of her medical problems and since she knows she has psoriasis and doesn't think this rash is the same. I too have psoriasis but there are many forms of psoriasis and I can't diagnosis anything as I don't have a medical license. Because your mom suffers from arthritis, fibromyalgia, and psoriasis she must be careful. I have a sister-in-law with fibromyalgia and she cannot put anything on her skin without problems.

What Brenda is suggesting is definately worth a try. It has helped her tremendously. The cream should be very mild on your mom's skin and shouldn't hurt at all because of the benefits of cocoa butter. What does use now for psoriasis? That would also be good to try on the rash as it has already been prescribed.

vencasand
02-04-2010, 01:10 PM
my daughter has fibromyalgia and she can use aveeno anti itch cream, lotion and bath lotion. if i didn't know any better i would think this was my leg. the patches are extremely itch if i don't use lotion or cream. and i keep my nails short so i won't be able to scratch. tell your mom i know what she is going thru and give her a hug for me. it is not dangerous it is just really really annoying. if she starts to have sore joints along with these lesions it could mean that the psoriasis is attacking her bones. i have this too. it is call psoratic arthritis. just another step to deal with to get to heaven.

y34963
02-07-2010, 04:30 PM
I have been mixing a potion of red respberry seed oil, kukui nut oil, vit E, rosehip oil and grapeseed oil together and putting on my entire body this winter and it has been wonderful. It is ever great for your face at night. The red respberry seed oil and kukui nut oil is easily absorbed and is great for eczema, psoriasis and acne. Hempseed oil I am going to add to my next batch as it is wonderul for dry mature skin and it sooths and retores dry damaged skin and inflammation. Jojoba oil would also be a great addition.