PDA

View Full Version : Treatment for Lichen Planus

Lalovita
06-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I have this reddish-purple and very itchy spots on my wrist and doctor said its Lichen Planus . I'm now applying some corticosteroid creams and some anti-itching medicine. So my questions is, are there any other medicine that can completely removed it. Is it infectious in nature? cause my family member is afraid to touch my hand.
Thanks

vencasand
06-04-2009, 12:53 PM
i just looked this lichen planus up on familydoctor.org. the research shows that it CANNOT be spread to other people. it is a viral infection that usually goes away by itself but takes weeks so be patient. continue to use your creams. if it is continueing to spread you might want to get prednisone from your doctor.

Lalovita
06-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Thank you Brenda for your answer. I'm using corticosteroid creams. But i'm afraid they say there is no cure for it.

Dr.Deepak
06-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Since every case of Lichen Planus is different for one another there is no known cure and treatment is often unsatisfactory but yea treatment if often effective in improving the appearance of the rash and relieving itching. Most commonly used drugs might be as you said topical corticosteroid creams,some anti-inflammatory drugs and antihistamines. For more severe cases use oral medications might help or PUVA. But before using these medications dermatological consultation is required for potential drug side effects.

In short medicine that are being used in the treatment of Lichen Planus are:
Aloe vera
hydroxychloroquine
Oral retinoids
Oral and and topical steroids.
tacrolimus
dapsone

And some have success with UVB Narrow Band Phototherapy

Consult your dermatologist about the drugs and their potential side effects.

Thankx